Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is It Illegal To......(PLEASE answer! Pretty IMPORTANT!)...?

Our neighbors pretty much abuse and do NOT care for their animals at all! And I just found out & they actually told me this.... They have shot their cats with a gun just because they don't like them! We've called animal control before because they actually have cats where I can literally put a finger on 1 side of the stomach & stick it out the other end! They're DEADLY scary skinny. They NEVER have food or water when we go there & they had over 30 cats! But all of a sudden (last few months) they're now gone cause they supposedly "fell into the water bowl & froze" ha! ya right...... Anyhoo my question is: Is it legal to shoot a cat just because you don't like them?

If you'd like any additional information, please send me an email.

(btw animal control said the cats were fine, but we saw & they weren't doing their job! They didn't even look @ all the animals! They only saw 4-5 of them out of over 50 including dogs, horses, ect.)

Thanks! =)

It's in Iowa and yes, I should have asked if this was considered animal cruelty verses illegal. I have asked my mom several times to call the aspca, but she refuses just because she doesn't want the neighbors to fine out. Which I understand, but still do not agree with since it's technically murders happening except it's not a human murder so nobody seems to care except me. I'm also too young to call and even if I did anyways, my voice makes me sound kinda younger than I already am so I couldn't call either..... Thank you for all the great answers. I really appreciate it! Any ideas on how I can contact my local ASPCA (if we have one :P) would be great too. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You know what I did? My neighbors used to play a game called "kick the kitty" where they would kick the kat and take bets about how far it would fly. One day they purposely left the cat out in the rain and I invited it in, I gave her some food, some love and then I sold her on Craigslist to a nice Christian family (she ended up being a birthday gift for their daughter and the family was nice enough to send me pictures of the cat happy in a new home.) and then I donated the $20 rehoming fee I charged the nice family to the ASPCA.

I called it Bunny Justice!

As the other responder said, try calling the SPCA. It depends on where you live but if they don't have a police unit call your local police and ask them where you can direct this complaint.

Animal cruelty is illegal, although the violations are usually misdemeanor charges amounting to fines and little or no jail time. But if the remaining animals are in bad shape they should be saved and rehabilitated.

Unfortunately many people take cat population control into their own hands after choosing not to get them spayed or neutered in the first place. :(

Source(s): Animal Cops on Animal Planet!

The laws governing animal shooting vary widely from state to state and city to city.In many jurisdictions, it is not illegal to shoot an animal if it is on someone else's property - and if your pet was on their property, you may find yourself cited for allowing a pet to roam free without a leash. If there are laws in place prohibiting a neighbor from shooting an animal even if it's on his property, pursue the case as vigorously as possible.

If your cat was menacing or threatening a human while it was shot, most localities will not press charges against the shooter. Determining whether or not the animal actually was attacking is most often accomplished by a vet's examination if there are no impartial witnesses.

You can find out the local laws regarding whether or not it is illegal for someone to shoot an animal on their property by contacting your local department of animal control.

Here's a list as to the Animal Cruelty Laws in every state:

http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/cruelty_laws....

EDIT-

The ASPCA is a community based out of New York and New Jersey. You can contact them from here, http://www.aspca.org/about-us/contact-us.html but other than notifying your local authorities they probably won't be able to help you. Try the Humane Society, which is in every state.

Call the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

No. It's animal cruelty, and they should be prosecuted! You need to call the Humane Society or SPCA, this isn't an "Animal Control" problem, as they are owned animals. But PLEASE call your local humane society, and they will take care of it.

I have heard on animal control not doing their job, call again, and see if someone different comes, if they say we were already there, tell them your going to call the police too. Good girl, we need more concerned people like you.

• i think it probably isnt legal because isnt it animal cruelty? unless animal cruelty is legal o.o im not very helpful am i? XD

Only if the intend to eat them.

O M G THAT IS SUCH AN INTERESTING SUBJECT, GOOD LUCK FINDING AN ANSWER!

ITs ILLEGAL, CALL THE COPS< THEY PROB DONT HAVE A PERMISSIN TO CARYY A GUN ANYWAYS< I LOVE CATSSS