Can I get a loan for a house, if I do not own the property that the house is going to sit on?

I want to ask for a loan to build a house, since my dad is a builder, I can save myself a lot of money by building one instead of buying one that someone else is selling, because he wont be making money off of me. The problem is that I liked a property that is about 1.5 acres and it costs about 25 grand. I do not... show more I want to ask for a loan to build a house, since my dad is a builder, I can save myself a lot of money by building one instead of buying one that someone else is selling, because he wont be making money off of me. The problem is that I liked a property that is about 1.5 acres and it costs about 25 grand. I do not want to pay all of the 25 because that is part of the money that we could be giving for the down payment of the house loan. Right now, for mortgages, it is really hard to get a loan unless you give a good downpayment.
The question is, if I ask for the house loan, will the bank give me a loan if the property is not under my name yet? The property would still be under the owners name untill i am done paying him, he agreed to finance the property.