What's a good watt output for 5.1 surround-sound, pc speakers?

I haven't really kept up with surround sound and speaker outputs since I bought my last set of two-channel&a sub speakers 7 years ago. Can anyone tell me what a good (and really good) watt output is per speaker for 5.1 surround sound, computer speaker system these days? I'm not looking for anything too high-end, but I'd like to know what output range I should be looking for, so I don't get jipped.

Also, would I care about decibel range outputs, like with headphones? I'm noticing that most speakers still go by watt/speaker output in their descriptions. If I should care about decibel range, what's a good range for that these days?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Almost all of the 'wattage' figures quoted for pc speakers are meaningless at best and blatantly dishonest at worst.

Buy a set of "400 watt" speakers, open them up and look at the drivers inside and you'd be lucky to find anything rated above 2 watts rms.

• elsie

you would be waiting to apply RCA or stereo jacks to get sound out of your Xbox into your pc, regardless of the shown fact that it could be stereo sound basically, making the encompass audio device pointless. if your pc encompass audio device have an optical enter, then purely connect the Xbox right away into the audio device, and it is going to artwork.