Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

What is the answer to this colin leslie dean species paradox?

The Australian philosopher colin leslie dean notes a paradox in evolutionary theory

similar to the paradox of Cain in the bible

http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/about1...

The first humans Adam and Eve gave birth to Cain and Able

so who did Cain mate with

similarly

who did the first bird mate with who did the first dog mate with

an individual of species A gives birth to a individual of the new species B so who did this new individual of new species B mate with to continue the new species

either

1)there was no one to mate with- so how did the new species B become common

or

2)a whole lot of species A gave birth toa whole lot of new individuals of species B at the same time so that these new individual members of species B could mate together

if this 2) was the way it happened

we have a major problem

it would mean something made a whole lot of members of species A give birth to a whole lot new members of species B at the same time

we are told species form due to random mutations

so

it is beyound possibility that the same random mutation took place in a whole lot of different members of species A at the same time

the other alternative is that some intelligence was at work

now some say

Now the seagulls;

"All of the seagulls are confined to one portions of the island, mating withing each other. Then a food supply shortens and a flock of seagulls migrate towards a food source. Over time due to environmental conditions and adaption these seagulls that left to find food have a percentage of DNA that differs by at least 3% rendering them a new species. So now you can have two flocks of seagulls at opposite ends of the island which have evolved differently due to the virulence factors."

but that does not answer the question which is

what did the FIRST EVER SEAGULL mate with

what did the FIRST EVER BIRD mate with

Update:

you say

"So every individual merely mated with another individual of the same species, which came from the same gene pool. "

so the question still remains

what did the first species bird mate with

if you say other birds from the same gene pool

that means there must have been at the same time a whole lot of the same random mutation happening at the same time

which is an impossibility unless some intelligence was directing it

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

The answer is that both Colin Leslie Dean and you have a (willfully) twisted and utterly wrong perception about evolution theory.

Two points, which, gazing at this longish and tiresome piece of cut-and-paste nonsense seem to stand out like a sore thumb

:

1. A lot of species reproduce by cell division, they don't need mates.

2. There was NEVER any 'first of a species' except by human definition. Evolution is a very gradual process from one species into the next, and all these individuals - and this is crucial - are a species as well. There are no 'transitory' individuals. So every individual merely mated with another individual of the same species, which came from the same gene pool.

I repeat, 'species' is a term used by humans to make sense of the complexity of live, and we just define 'species' the way we need it. There are no 'natural' species, esp. not with limits where you can place your finger on and shout 'There's the switch!' It doesn't happen.

The 3% rule quoted at the end, btw, is not only a case of definition, it is completely made up by CLD or some other creationist too. It's a fabrication, a lie, nonsense, what have you.

It's the creationist equivalent of 'when did you stop beating your wive'.

I couldn't make myself read it all the way through because whenever I do I feel my brain cells yell 'noooo' and die one by one. So if I failed to stomp on any other ccreationismidiocy that I missed, forgive me

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That paradox is nothing but Bull Sheep! Evolution is an ANALOG process.. meaning it changes smoothly due time. Also take note that species has some degree of tolerance on which specie or individual it can procreate with. So Species A when mated with another Species A wont result in Species B right away but will result in something like Species A.1 . so overtime this Species A.1 will be prevalent and it will produce another set of Species, lets say Species A.2. Until to such point that Species A.9... If Specie A.9 looks very different now to Species A, we therefore can say that you have another species or a speciation has occurred.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is only a paradox if you are allowed to define your terms your way. If you would like a simple example of the process, google "Rassenkriess". Here a ring of populations are all able to breed with the adjacent ones until the ring closes and the two ends of the population chain are not inter-fertile with one another.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.