Teen question, problems with a 17 year old girl. How would you handle it?

Let me apologize in advance for the long convoluted story, but it takes some background to set the stage. My 17 year old step-daughter is a royal pain in the A$$. Very controversial amongst her friends, she is the instigator who causes a lot of fights, likes to pick on people, and has been in her share of legal... show more Let me apologize in advance for the long convoluted story, but it takes some background to set the stage. My 17 year old step-daughter is a royal pain in the A$$. Very controversial amongst her friends, she is the instigator who causes a lot of fights, likes to pick on people, and has been in her share of legal trouble. She has prety well screwed up first three years of high school. Karma has taken its toll and now she is hanging out with a much less ( IMHO) desirable set of peers.

That being said, I also do think my step daughter has been trying to change and grow and mature. This past semester, she worked very hard to get out of her drug-court issue and made excellent marks in school ( she was a D & F student), applied herself and became and A & B student.

On her Birthday (May) this year, her 16 y.o "best-friend" stole her cellphone, money, and other items, and blamed it on others at a party. Found out later it was the friend, she returned the phone unusable and vandalized ( superglued shut and dunked in water). My step-daughter then ends her friendship with this girl and has no more contact. Blocks number from cell phone, etc.

Fast forward a month later, the step daughter goes to another state to stay with the Grandparents for a couple of months to work and save money for a car. She gets sick and has to return home. During that time, she got text messages from a strange number, turns out it was the thief/vandal friend wondering when she would be back home. Returned home to her fathers house after two weeks away and found the majority of her clothes stolen from her room. Father lives out in the country and doesn't keep house locked, always away during the day, so it would have been easy for someone to come in.

We just know is was this ex-friend who took her clothes, jewelry, etc. The father never noticed missing items, as he doesn't go into her room often. Have also heard some chatter from mutual friends something like this may have gone down. The ex-friends parents are of no help at all, they let their 16 year old live with her boyfriend part time and have no control over her. My step-daughters biological father doesn't want to get law enforcement involved, since he may have supplied a small amount of alcohol to step daughter and friends at her birthday party ( THAT WAS STUPID!!!!!!!!), and the ex-friend already alluded to the fact they may tell law enforcement about that little gem of info if charges were pressed regrading the cell phone issue.

What would you do to resolve/correct/ or even avenge this issue?
Update: hey "why not" break in happened at fathers house, not mine.