. asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do you pronounce "your" and "you're" differently?

I have a slight difference.

your => yoar

you're => yer

What about you?

2 of the people complaining about my pronounciations have misused the words in their answers. Hardly credible.

Wow, that sucks then. I'm from Canada, but I don't speak English as a first language. Either way, no one has negatively commented on my accent, so I suppose I'll just keep talking the way I do.

And yes, it is pronunciation, I don't know why I spelled it wrong. Thanks.

Mona Lisa => that's good that someone taught you in school

Favorite Answer

Sometimes - the pronunciation of "you're" especially depends on the emphasis, but they become identical under minimum stress. If I'm speaking slowly and deliberately "your" is like "yore" and "you're" is like "ewer." In fast speech, they're both "yur". "You're" can go to "yore" in some instances, but in my idiolect it seems to be intermediate between "ewer" and "yur" in emphasis.

"{ewer} not going to get away with that again." [juər]

"{yore} it!" [jɔr]

"If I think {yur} in trouble, I'll get help." [jər]

I think what happens is that in the intermediate form, I'm starting to relax the vowel like a schwa and that pulls the [u] out of position so that it crosses though the territory of the [o] on its way to the schwa position. If I had a vowel chart, I could show you, but basically [u] is at the extreme limit of the back close vowels and the schwa is mid central. The American [o] tends to be somewhere around back and close but less close than the [u], so as a [u] gets centralized into a schwa, it can sound a lot like an [o]. There's probably some r-conditioning too. You can figure dialects that tend to make "tour" sound like "tore" (fairly common in rural Midlands) are probably going to make "you're" into "yore" when the second vowel is dropped.

edit: That's how I say it - if you can't understand what the question means, please stop voting on answers.

I might also point out that the source Diana P gives lists different sounds for "your," so obviously it does not support the contention that "you're" and "your" are always the same. Did anyone actually bother to look at the link and read it?

• Diana

They're both pronounced the same:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/your?jss=1

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you're

When either is a less important word in a sentence, sometimes English speakers slur over it a bit. But it's not done consciously, it's just the way it comes out.

I don't know if there's a correct or wrong pronunciation, but I thought it might interest you to know that, as a non native (European) speaker, I learned in school that both are pronounced "yoar". I guess the differences are regional (and thus not incorrect).

You're the best. -> yoar

This is your book. -> yoar

Yes

I believe they should both be pronounced as "yoar", like "roar". xD

That's how I pronounce them at least. x]

Edit:

I'm pretty sure both are acceptable.

Sometimes if I'm speaking fast or something, I'll say "yer", but it probably depends on your accent/region.

They both sound pretty similar though. :D

No I pronounce both as yer

"Your"sounds like "you're". They are homonyms (sound alikes) However , the word you misspelled is "pronunciation".

No u your not supposed to pronounce them different

I fiind that I say them the same

Not really but in a way yea.