promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

What substrate do i need for leopard gecko?

What substrate do i need for leopard gecko?

As im getting my knew 4ft vivarium tomorrow, i will need to know abit more about leopard gecko's, its just that ive been searching for a long time now and had no luck on good information for keeping a gecko... These are a couple of questions on what i would like to know...

What substrate can they have?

[i dont want kitchen paper or news paper methods]

what heating do they need and what temperatures and what equipment do they need? e.g heat mat etc..

Is a 4ft vivarium too big for one gecko or 2?

Do they eat veggies? i was thinking of giving it dandelion couple times a week to give it a healthy life style.

Do they live on eating mealworms? As im thinking of making a colony of mealworms for them to feed on.

Would be much appreciated if you help me out here... if you would like to know.. im getting a gecko in a couple of weeks time, so i need to know all the basics on how to keep it healthy and in shape. if you have anymore basic information and tips, please feel free to post!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There is a lot of controversy on what kind of substrate to use. Some people say calci-sand and some people say no sand. Either way I would use reptile carpet because sand can cause impact and because they like to lick everything in the vivarium I would play it safe.

Never use heat rocks because they will burn your leopard gecko! An under the tank heater, you can use a lamp with an ordinary incandescent bulb for the side without the under tank heater, and a red light for night.

I think you could put 2 leopard geckos in it.

They eat crickets and meal worms. I have never fed mine veggies so I am not sure about that.

Yes they do BUT it is good to feed them crickets too because mealworms cannot give them everything they need.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new leopard!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can feed them mealworms because wax worms are the ones high in fat.

Repti-Carpet would be the only good substrate that isnt paper towels.

Heat Mat is probably the best heat source and the temp should be in the mid to high 80's in the day and at night it can go to the 70's.

They do not eat veggies.

If you are getting a baby gecko 10-20 gallon is good, and if you want to keep them together it has to be a male and 2 females but they will mate. or you can put a lot of females together because they are not territorial.

I suggest you get a 10-20gallon tank with one Leo, a heat pad, Repti-Carpet, and feed it mealworms.

And you should switch off what you feed them between mealworms and crickets so they stay healthy, but DO NOT leave the crickets in the tank over night because they could eat off the Leo's toes.

Here is a Care sheet

http://www.geocities.com/geckodistrict/leopard.htm...

• 1 decade ago

Reptile substrate may be nice to serve as your leopard gecko tank’s bedding to provide more natural look and nice view. However, a wrongly chosen reptile substrate may be disastrous to our lovely leopard gecko.

There are many reptile substrates available on the reptile pet shop today. However, it is a devastating to house your leopard gecko on wrong selected substrate. This might cause casualties to your poor leopard gecko. Sometimes, there are too many gecko owners do not understand the importance of the substrate being used, they do not have the knowledge choose the correct substrate and lead to the dead of their pet.

We love our leopard gecko and that's why at least that you should know that these are the substrates that you should avoid.

I try figured out as many reptile substrate that are not suitable for leopard gecko. This is the substrate list and I hope it will be useful for you and let’s make sure the leopard gecko is living happily and healthily all time.

Playground sand

This should not be used with your young gecko or juveniles as they might swallow the playground sand and cause impaction and eventually death.

Orchid bark mixture, shavings or other product made by moss

Similar playground sand, these substrates are well known for easily ingested and cause impaction for leopard gecko.

Astroturf with bound and melted edges

Leopard may eat the particles that fray off.

Potting soil

The gecko may eat the partite that it contains.

Cedar or pine

Fume or resins may be poisonous to reptiles.

Silica sand

This is basically glass and could not be digested by reptile.

Crushed walnut

Certain unfortunate leopard geckos die after eating crushed walnut. Certain leopard gecko may be able to spit them out if accidentally eat that while hunting their food but some could not. For example “Desert Blend” actually made of crusted walnut.

If you’re buying reptile substrate from local pet store or any pet store online, always check out the ingredient that used for the substrate. If it is not shown on the packing, try to ask the pet store assistants to provide you the details.

• 1 decade ago

4ft is plenty big enough for a gecko

i would put 3-4 in one that size. but don't put males together and females with males unless you want baby geckos.

no they don't eat veg they eat crickets and meal worms. you can also give them wax worms and pinkies (baby mouse) for a treat but not to often. you don't have to do mouse though i never have. you have to feed the meal worms and crickets veg before you feed them to the gecko and they get nutrients that way. you need to plan where you will get the cricket and worms from, they last about 2 weeks and are £2 a turn. you could do a colony of wax worms but you will need the space and the worm will turn into cocoons and then into a beetle like a butterfly does.

paper towels is best, not not get a reptile carpet, they look quite good.

the tank shouldn't be any hotter than 34c during the day and it can go as cold as 24c at night.

best thing to provide heat is a heat mat as this helps the digest there food.

Source(s): leopard gecko owner x
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I just got a leopard gecko so I can answer that.

Substrate-they have special reptile carpet that can be fitted to diff sizes. Never use sand for a little one. It can get in their eyes.

Heating-You can buy a special lamp. Don't get a heat rock because it could malfunction or they could like it so much they won't get off and they'll cook.

Size of Cage-That's fine. I have a ten gallon for one and it is perfect. They're fine by themselves so if you want to get two you can but you don't have to.

Veggies-They just mainly need crickets or mealworms. But a few little vegetable won't hurt. Make sure and buy calcium to shake on crickets. If you don't have that it will be like them living on chocolate bars.

Anymore questions you can ask employees at pet store. All in all leopard geckos are amazing and sweet lizards. They love attention and are soft and lovable.

Source(s): own two leopard geckos
  • 1 decade ago

you can have probably up to 4-5 leos in a 4ft long tank(maybe more). also i hear repti carpet is good for them as long as you use the smooth side (since people say there toes get stucks and sometimes breakoff) and if u dont want this any substrate that is not loose and or is easy for them to ingest. they need hot spots of 90degrees and cool side of 80. most people use under tank heaters. but you can reach temps just as good with a heat lamp. you maybe want to get a night bulb maybe red or blue so they can stay somewhat warm at night (75-80degrees). but as for lighting itself a regular incandescent bulb works fine there nocturnal so they dont require use of UVB bulbs. leos only eat insects. you can use mealworms as a daily diet but crickets are more healthier. just remember to gutload all food.

ps: dont house more then one male together and if u plan on housing multiple leos together; most females can be housed together but some may bully the others.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No loose substrate - no substrate is better than loose substrate.

I use repti-carpet and it is fab.

Leopard geckos should never be kept together... a 4 foot vivarium does sound very big for a leo, but like i already said they are solitary and should never be kept with others.

No veggies.

They need a variety - mealworms are ok, locust and crickets are much better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

thought you was getting a bearded dragon

here is a care sheet for gecko's

http://www.geocities.com/geckodistrict/leopard.htm...

you wont need 4 ft viv for gecko 2 or maybe 3 at max

dont feed mealworms often only as a treat as they are extremly high in fat

best substrate is fine astro turf

Source(s): owner of 3 beardies and 1 chinese water dragon
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ask streetwisebot@live.co.uk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.