What do I need to connect my macbook to my TV?

I have a newer macbook and older tvs, with red-yellow-white and cable inputs (I am not tech savvy, in case you can't tell) Can I connect my macbook to my tv to watch instant netflix? What do I need?

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there are no simple cables that will connect your new Macbook to an old analog-only boob-tube TV.

The new Macbook you have (with the nVidia 9400m video chipset) does not support analog TV-out. Apple deleted it from the new Macbook. The old Macbook (with the Intel GMA950) had that.

If you want to connect your Macbook to a TV using a simple cable adapter, it has to be an HDTV with HDMI inputs, using a miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Premium-DisplayPort-Adap...

If you want to connect to an old analog-only TV, then you need to buy a scan converter box that can translate the signal from your miniDisplayPort to analog AV.