Bell
Bell asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 decade ago

I can't go to college? 10 points?

I have to pay for college myself- no help from my parents.

My grades were pretty good in high school, I took a year off to find a good job, get a good car and just be better prepared for college and decide on a degree.

So I decided to go to community college and live on campus so I can move out of my parent's house and live in the city.

I already signed up for 5000 dollars in student loans and it turns out I still need 3000 dollars for school...

I cannot afford that. I can't even come up with that much money by then even working full time.

What am I supposed to do?

I AM GOING TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE

I already have the best job I can get. And in MI right now, I would have to be an idiot to quit.

Favorite Answer

Jeep:

Can I assume that you completed the FAFSA, and applied for Federal Student Aid? I'm trying to figure this out from reading your question, but you never really said anything about that.

The single best source of information about all of the different types of financial assistance that are available to college students in the US is this publication from the Department of Education: http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/site...

"Funding Education Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid" explains scholarships, grants, loans, and the Federal Work Study program - despite the title, the booklet goes far beyond just federal aid programs, and talks about all of the options.

You will learn what's available, who is eligible, how much you might qualify for, and most importantly, of course, how to apply.

If you haven't applied for federal student aid, you are already leaving $5500 in Stafford loans on the table, because that money is yours to borrow, with no questions about your income, your assets or your debts. There isn't even a credit check.

You may also be eligible for other types of federal aid, including the Pell Grant program, which awards up to $5350 a year in "free money" assistance, that the recipient does not need to repay.

Check out the booklet, if you haven't already - and even if you have applied - you might still find some helpful information about other avenues.

Unfortunately, however, what you are running into is this - the financial aid system is just that - financial "aid", as in "assistance". The program is not designed to buy anyone a college education - and it's not a matter of simply indicating how much it's going to take for you to pay your college expenses, and then expecting enough "financial aid" to make that happen. Your situation is entirely typical - you receive a good amount of aid, but then the system stands aside and says "okay, so now you need to come up with the rest".

If you can't - and there's no shame in that, so don't please don't misunderstand - it just means that you're not in a financial position to afford to move out and attend school just yet. This really isn't very different than when someone says "I want to buy a car, but I only have $5000, and that's not enough to afford the car that I want." In that situation, you either buy a cheaper car, or you wait and save and get to the point where you CAN afford the car you want.

Colleges are paid for with a combination of financial aid, out-of-pocket cash, scholarships and loans. If your financial aid isn't going to cover all of your expenses (and it's not intended to), and you have no out-of-pocket, then you're looking for scholarships or more loans. If those aren't available, you've pretty much run through all of the possible sources.

I honestly wish you the very best of luck, and I hope that you are able to accomplish your dream.

Try to find a better paying job, and maybe work 2 jobs if you have to, and you can always take another year off, I know that's not that much of an option right now, you can also try to Mow Lawns, and water plants for some extra cash, since you have a 5000 dollar student loan, you will have to pay that back, so go ahead and try to make up that money. By, either working for people around the neighborhood or try to find a better paying job, and work full time, and if you have to get another job. I know this will be hard, but at least it will pay off when you get your college degree.

Do you have to move out of your parent's house. Typically the housing is the most expensive cost of school. Maybe you could live with them for one more year until you are able to build some money in savings. Also, talk to the school about a payment plan of some sort. A lot of schools will work with you on that.

Look up as many scholarships as you can. Some really easy ones to apply for are about 1000 each and you can find scholarships having to do with just about anything. Don't give up and just apply to a whole ton of them- hopefully something should pay off for you!

go online and look for scholarships they r alot of people who were about to go to college and had no way to pay for it, went online, applied for many scholarships, and won one or two and that was enough. u may not win but u should at least try. as a last resort u can apply for more loans i guess. Good luck!

Source(s): here are some websites: www.zinch.com http://www.fastweb.com

like my dad always says like when i wanted the ipod touch. if you dont have it in cash dont buy it. cause then ull get in a bunch of debt trouble. i suggest wait until nxt year and work full time and have extra money incase u need it.

ask an admissions person usually they have a financial aid program

only thing i can come up with is that you have to beg your friend and parents to help you. tell them that you only want to borrow money and want to return them back as soon as possible!

good luck! ^^

go to community college for two years then transfer, it will be cheaper that way

apply for scholarships