How can I keep cats away from my fish pond?

Well, I have a fish pond in my front yard and cats keep killing my fish! I know it was them because there were 2 dead fish at 2 separate times that both had a long deep scratch on their side. And, I can't put a net over my pond because that would kill my plants! I don't want to hurt the cats either. I was thinking about live trapping the mom (the kittens are old enough to live without her) and then taking her to the Humane Society. But, then would the kittens go away and find a new home?

Anything would be helpful, but no rude comments.

Thanks :)

I can't sell the fish or move them somewhere else and I have a dog, (who hates cats) but she's an inside dog and would probably end up killing the cat.

Favorite Answer

You have quite a few options actually.

Carefully sprinkle cat deterrent crystals around the pond. You can find them at any pet store. It helps keep cats out of gardens as well. Make sure not to get them in the pond though. Make a perimeter so the cat can't get near the pond before smelling the deterrent.

Or you can set up a soaker hose (the kind that make like a mist when it's on) at odd hours so the cat never knows when she's going to get wet. They also make a slight hissing noise when they're on that cats aren't overly fond of. Depending on if you are on a well or not, this could impact your water bill though :-(

Another option is to make a netting "tent" so your plants aren't affected. We have netting that is pretty open, not a tight weave, to keep leaves out of the pond in the fall. We found it at Petsmart. You get alot in one package. After awhile the cat will move on if it's food source is removed. Or you can try leaving food out for it so it isn't hungry. Hungry cat = hunting drive kicked into overload = dead fish.

If you trap the mom, try also to trap the kittens before they get too wild. They will more than likely continue to hunt the fish when they get bigger. If you catch them before they go too wild the shelter will be able to find them homes. Or you can contact some area farms to see if any one needs a barncat. I have cats (indoor) AND a pond so I feel your dilema. One of the cats I have used to dip his paw in for a drink but never hurt the fish - but that was before I brought him in.

Source(s): cats, dogs and pond person!
  • Nicole

Be careful about putting chemicals etc (cat repellant) around the pond, in case it washes into the pond water, through the earth. Why not try putting two big rocks, with perhaps a tile on the top, which will leave a gap underneath, for your froggie friend to get out. The netting then can go over the top of this to keep you fish safe from the cat, but can allow wild life to get in and out. I think there are also some plants that cats don't like, but not sure what they are, something prickly might work, and will also enhance the edge of the pond. good luck!

Tie your dog near fish pond or move its cannel near to it if can. Since The dog hate cats she wont let them to come near and cats would stay away too.

Trap the mother and her kittens. The Humane society will rent you a trap that will not harm them. If the feral cat is having kttens all the wildlife in your area is at risk, not just your gold fish. I know it seems cruel to trap the cat and her babies, but most of those kittens will die through natural selection anyway. But in the mean time they will kill all the native wildlife in your garden for food.

• No se

I've heard that spraying vinegar around plants keeps cats away. I'm not sure of what that would do to plants, but you can always try and see.

I don't know if this would work but you could try putting a fence around the pond. you could choose something that matches your house or something pretty. just an idea

Cut green plastic bottles in half down the lenght of bottle and put these around pond, cats don't like going near these.

i think the best u cn do is only get a net over on ur fish pound.o mey be get a dog to screem a way the cat :)

Use barb wire and extremely high fence to surround your tank/pond. Add a door so you can enter.

Don't use a net, use chicken wire.