Atheism vs christianity, round 1?

Why do you think atheists/christians are wrong?

Alright gentleman I want a tough, clean debate. I want you to defend your beliefs at all times, obey the yahoo guidelines at all times. This is for the world religion championship. Touch gloves!

<ding ding!>

"Seconds out!"

Well, I'll start with some fancy footwork around the point that without using verifiable evidence and rational though, there can be no reliability that what we think we experience is what we actually experience. If we "feel" something, how can we best establish what that is?

If we "feel" a god, how do we know we are feeling one god or 12? Or no gods, but just a feeling?

If we make it objective, how do we establish what other people feel, and communicate about it? If it's an emotion, we have no problem communicating about that - how many cheesy chick-flick rom-coms are there, centred around the common theme of love? Or hate? Fear too. We love scary stories!

However, these emotions are all about the self's state of mind, not about establishing the reality of a being. THAT needs objective analysis, not just subjective feeling.

Otherwise people can tell you "I won't let you do X because of something only I 'feel'!" If we are accountable to each other in society, then we have to account for the reality behind our decisions that affect others.

Why do people say religion causes all wars? both world wars had nothing to do with religion, as many many others dont. people have gone to wars over land, resources, drugs and women. that is not a good reason to hate religion.

I believe atheists are wrong, as wacky as this seems, because i know god is real in my heart. I dont need to believe in an afterlife, i dont need to have an unseen being responsible for me. I just know that there is one. There are so many synchronicities in the world it just could not be random. I had a near death experience where I started thinking about death in a new way that u cannot imagine unless u have nearly been killed. If god was not real, would u invent him? I know that i couldnt invent such a concept and i would not. every civilisation has a concept of a higher power tho they may all be different. Could an imaginary character really be such a major source of debate and conflict?

I dont push my beliefs on people, but i do have more respect for the beliefs of agnostics than atheists. you cannot prove god does not exist. All that is proved by sciences such as evolution is that the bible is not to be taken literally. The bible is being continued everyday by great writers telling of their experiences with god. Read Tolstoy for example. Events in the bible did happen, that is what makes them different to stories of zeus etc. there are too many spiritual things that cannotbe explained by science alone.

The bible has less than zero substantiation. The gospels are too young to be eyewitness accounts and date to the same dark age era of Constantine the last despot Roman emperor who commissioned the bible.

They all follow the same tale as many other belief systems such as Mithra of which Constantine was a devout follower before the plague killed 50% of the population that left him a completely insane despot, historically worse than any 10 Hitlers put together.

The god of the bible describes the world as being the shape of an oblong box, and the sky is a solid barrier with holes in to allow the light of the sun, moon and stars. So this god is a complete moron and so not all knowing, all wise or anywhere near infallible.

An ounce of logic will tell you an all knowing god + free will = Oxymoron. The two things are mutually exclusive.

God is a blanket expression to label ignorance, not a giant invisible sky fairy to wish upon.

Practicing Shaman... quantum physics rocks.

There is no proof whatsoever what there is any god, deity, whatever. The bible is an archaic book that tells people to be biased and hateful that was written by a bunch of brainwashed monks a long time ago. Also, Christians repeatedly harm people, demonize religions and then say that they just want to help. They almost never consider another point of view besides their own.

And hey, has anyone ever heard of atheists killing someone because they don't like their religion or beliefs(ahem abortion doctors ahem)? No, I thought not.

An example of Christians demonizing: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/W...

(1) The Old Testament figure Lucifer, the "Light-Bearer," who, in defiance of Yahweh, brought self-awareness to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; (2) the Greek deity Prometheus, who rebelled against the authority of Zeus and gave fire to mankind; and (3) the ancient Mesoamerican god Quétzalcoatl, the "Feathered Serpent," known to the Maya as Kukulkan, who was forced into exile because of his efforts on behalf of mankind.

War World 3 This manifestation will result from the general reactionary movement which will follow the destruction of religion and atheism, both conquered and exterminated at the same time." Who is left?

Albert Pike

I think it's arrogant of anyone to think that their particular brand of religion is the only correct one and that all others are false, since NO ONE really has definitive proof that a particular ideology is exclusive and undeniable truth. I think it's more of a matter of what feels right and true for each individual as a person, which is why I feel it is important to respect everyone's religious beliefs even if I don't agree with them personally, with the only exception being when someone else's beliefs cause direct harm to other people.

@M to the R Mighty RA:

It is only natural that there are a few hateful Christians; its human nature and you will find this in all groups no matter what world-view they adhere to.

How many abortion doctors have been killed....does it even reach double-figures???

NO, its 9 in total:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violenc...

There are over 2 Billion Christians in total.

People shy away from labeling all Muslims as terrorists, but how many people have died at the hands of Muslim extremists in recent times?

Its 10,779 deaths in 2008 alone!

Thats More people killed by Islamists in 2008 than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined.

Also, some atheists like to claim that Timothy McVeigh was a Christian when in actual fact he was a self-described agnostic:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/2001/LAW/06/11/mcveigh....

Hi there..Well first of all i don't think its a debate at all because God has nothing to prove to no one God does not play their if he exist games the bible says God operates in faith and God is not going to change to please and ease the conscience of man that is what people don't understand God is not moved by the will of man Atheist could rant and rave all they want that will not change God..God created man and gave man the will to choose and man chose wrong and the world is in a mess because of that.. people ask well why did God not fix the problem right then well because God cannot go against what he created and if he had fixed what Adam did God would have violated the will of man meaning Adams choice was final..The world is infected with sin because of Adam and as the bible says sin has blinded the eyes of unbelievers so they are ever seeing and never finding the truth because they won't surrender to God but are bound by there own will..The bible says for God so loved us meaning he loved us before we loved him and by giving Jesus his son to die for us is that not the love of God? Atheist spend there whole life looking for evidence and salvation passes them by and when they die its to late..

For the record, I am appalled by other Christians claiming that the death of Dr. Tiller was a good thing.

I think Atheists are, by and large, very intelligent people. Many of them are good people, as well.

They may rely too much on the intellect and not enough on matters of the heart. It's pointless to employ logic when discussing such an ethereal matter as God. There are times in life when we should listen to our heart. That's why I believe in God, because I believe that my heart tells me that he is real. But I realize it isn't logical nor provable.

Source(s): Christian dude who digs Atheists.

One question that ought to be asked - became into the "prediction" of Jesus genuine or did some one study the text cloth and say "men have we've been given a load of suckers here and would make a mint off them" and "create" their very own Jesus. the comparable is going for all the "prophecies". Are they genuine or picked up via hucksters seeking to benefit. The "prediction" of the destruction of the temple became into written approximately 2 an prolonged time after it occurred. as a techniques through fact the sciences, the Sumerian pills which pre-date the bible via 2000 years or greater had all of that suggestions and lots greater. They even knew approximately all 9 planets, a number of which we purely chanced on in the final 2 centuries. as a techniques through fact the bible maximum appropriate to "magnificent discoveries" I easily have heard that from a lot of human beings and no person has yet to instruct me something of that nature, they simply make those sweeping statements. some human beings have made some tries at it yet what they have given as "discoveries" have been oriented in the direction of 6 one year olds at Jesus camp, no longer those with sensible braincells.