Dave asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

How do I set tall posts in the ground ?

I am putting up a 12'X12" heavy fabric awning. 2 points are attached to the house the other 2 need to be attached to beams set in the ground. My plan was :dig a 2' hole. Set a 4"X4"X12' post in the hole brace it by (2)2X4's that are attached to the posts and stakes in the ground to get it & keep it level. Pour quickcrete in the hole and be done. Is there a better way ??? Thank you Very much for your time and Knowledge !

Favorite Answer

It sounds good to me, but could I suggest clamping/screw/nail a length of batten between the two post at the top, to keep the post at the right width apart, because if anything goes wrong at least the post will be at the right distance apart where this awning will need to be attached..

P.S. Be sure to put about 10" of gravel at the bottom of the hole before adding the concrete, so after rain the bottom of the post will dry out quicker and leave the post at ground level so in wet periods water will run away from the bottom of the post not pool.

Source(s): Carpenter & Joiner

If I were you I would install cassons Dig your post holes about 2.5 feet deep, insert a concrete tube-- they are made of cardboard then back fill around the tube-- so you now have a perfectly round hole in the ground then fill it with concrete. Insert into the still sopping wet concrete a metal post holder. It will stick halfway into the concrete and the other half sticks up into the air, you attach the post to the part that sticks up. If you do it right it will be super stiff and the wind will have a hard time blowing your fence over. The best part of the deal is when the fence post does eventually rot and needs replacing, all you have to do is unattach it from the metal and fasten in a new one. No concrete work is needed. The fastener can be used again and again, without any need for digging it up.

HI I would use two 6x6ins post and put in ground 2ft-6ins and concrete and don't have your mix to wet makes it better for you to keep your post up right--yours--

Ps Rum Corp sorry but if you put 10ins gravel in the bottom of your hole you would never keep your post firm.---Pour your concrete keep working it down around your post to remove the air and fill to, two ins from surface, then do as you have suggested--yours-

PS Sensible-------You say a 3ft hole, so is that plus a few more ins to allow for your stone in the bottom, our 3ft stone post concrete.

You say a few stones in the bottom of the hole for drainage,What drainage and from where

These post should be treated with preservative, so no water will damage these post what so ever.

If you bring your concrete above ground level, how would you bring,say brick paving up tight to your post you can not because of the concrete.yours.

And as for a frost line your concreteing a post in the ground not laying a floor 6ins deep

Standard depth for poles is 1/3 of the distance above ground. I would suggest getting longer posts and burying at least 3' of them. If your area has really low temps in the winter, the frost line must be included in your calculations. I always put a few inches of stone in the bottom of the hole for drainage and bring the concrete up above the ground and taper it downwards to allow rain to run off of it to keep the pole from being captured in standing water.