Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why did the Roman Catholic church used to burn people for translating the Bible into common languages?

Update:

William Tyndale was burned for the Word of God: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJVuIBK2oc

Youtube thumbnail

Update 2:

Ah! Well I have a Bible (I use the KJV) and I don't need no Pope!

The New Testament teaches that God has appointed apostles, prophets, teachers, etc in His Church, but He says nothing of Popish succession or of a Roman priesthood!

They would still be burning Christians and Jews if they had not been restrained.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Peter
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I never knew that even though I have heard his name.

As a believer of Jesus Christ there was pain and agony to have the bible revealed to many people.

Praise the Lord for allowing the bible to be translated in to Englisdh and now most every language,

Really I feel that the Lord can open the doors that no man can open as the bible ascribes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I was surprised at those who claimed that Henry VIII had Tyndale executed. Though certainly Tyndale was a fugitive from England, he was captured and tried by authorities of the Holy Roman Empire - not the Roman Catholic Church or England. I don't think that Hank had any involvement in his execution.

See "EPILOGUE – TYNDALE’S MARTYRDOM" about 2/3 of the way down

http://www.thirdmill.org/files/english/html/ch/CH....

However, it **is true** that the Roman Catholic Church forbade any **unauthorized** translation into common language, *and* it is true that King Henry VIII enacted a law making unauthorized translation a capital offense.

It is *also* true that the first common language bibles in Western Europe were produced by the Roman Catholic Church! Not only the Latin Vulgate (405 C.E.) - which was the common language of the time. *Several* common-language bibles existed **before** the Protestant Reformation that were approved by the Roman Catholic Church. In fact, before Luther's Theses there were several different approved translations in the Italian language alone (differing dialects), not to mention some others. The problem is that the Roman Catholic Church was very slow in producing bibles in *all* the common languages of its people.

Finally, it is *also* true that Protestants persecuted Roman Catholic bible translators in the same manner! The approved Roman Catholic English bible translators had to work on the continent (forbidden by that very same law enacted by Henry VIII to translate in England). They were forced to flee the university of Rheims where their work had already produced the New Testament when the ruler became Protestant. Protestant persecution of Roman Catholics delayed the publishing of the complete Roman Catholic English bible by more than 20 years!

Jim, http://www.bibleselector.com/rc_versions.html

• 1 decade ago

It never happened. The Church has never condemned anyone for translating the Bible into a vernacular language. There was a time when people were punishjed for heretical translations like William Tyndale.

Your history is false. In fact everything you have stated is false. Do some study and read the book of Acts. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• 1 decade ago

Do you know why you cannot but a Tyndale Bible translation in the bookstore?

Because the translation was so bad that it could lead believers into error. What would you do to save people's souls?

The Catholic Church condemned Tyndale's translation because Tyndale had mistranslated the texts in order to promote heretical views.

Tyndale was tried on a charge of heresy in 1536, found guilty, condemned to death (heresy was a capital crime), and executed by the English government, not the Catholic Church.

There were already several well translated English Bibles available for those few who could read English. http://www.geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/bibleg...

Even today, the Catholic Church reviews Bible translations and approves those that are well translated for use by the Catholic faithful.

With love in Christ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Tyndale was burned for heresy, not for translating the Bible into English. The Catholic Church produced an English translation soon after, so your claim is illogical.

Also, I'm not convinced it was the doing of the Catholic Church, since Henry VIII was involved and this was after Henry broke with the Catholic Church.

• From your added comments I'm guessing you really aren't looking for an answer, but I will answer for those who are.

William Tyndale wasn't burned for translating a Bible into English, there was already a few Bibles in English actually, the first was the Book of Genesis in the early 500's A.D. There were already English Bibles available when Tyndale asked to translate the Bible into English, but they were already not selling well.

William Tyndale was burned for translating the Bible incorrectly and adding his own ideas to the Word of God. Also, it was Henry VIII who burned Tyndale at the stake, not the Catholic Church.

He was known as only a mediocre scholar and had gained a reputation as a priest of unorthodox opinions and a violent temper. He was infamous for insulting the clergy, from the pope down to the friars and monks, and had a genuine contempt for Church authority. In fact, he was first tried for heresy in 1522, three years before his translation of the New Testament was printed. His own bishop in London would not support him in this cause.

Finding no support for his translation from his bishop, he left England and came to Worms, where he fell under the influence of Martin Luther. There in 1525 he produced a translation of the New Testament that was swarming with textual corruption. He willfully mistranslated entire passages of Sacred Scripture in order to condemn orthodox Catholic doctrine and support the new Lutheran ideas. The Bishop of London claimed that he could count over 2,000 errors in the volume (and this was just the New Testament).

And we must remember that this was not merely a translation of Scripture. His text included a prologue and notes that were so full of contempt for the Catholic Church and the clergy that no one could mistake his obvious agenda and prejudice. Did the Catholic Church condemn this version of the Bible? Of course it did.

The secular authorities condemned it as well. Anglicans are among the many today who laud Tyndale as the "father of the English Bible." But it was their own founder, King Henry VIII, who in 1531 declared that "the translation of the Scripture corrupted by William Tyndale should be utterly expelled, rejected, and put away out of the hands of the people."

So troublesome did Tyndale’s Bible prove to be that in 1543—after his break with Rome—Henry again decreed that "all manner of books of the Old and New Testament in English, being of the crafty, false, and untrue translation of Tyndale . . . shall be clearly and utterly abolished, extinguished, and forbidden to be kept or used in this realm."

Ultimately, it was the secular authorities that proved to be the end for Tyndale. He was arrested and tried (and sentenced to die) in the court of the Holy Roman Emperor in 1536. His translation of the Bible was heretical because it contained heretical ideas—not because the act of translation was heretical in and of itself. In fact, the Catholic Church would produce a translation of the Bible into English a few years later (The Douay-Reims version, whose New Testament was released in 1582 and whose Old Testament was released in 1609).

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0212fea3.asp

Please, research further than youtube if you want to pose a question to us.

<<The New Testament teaches that God has appointed apostles, prophets, teachers, etc in His Church, but He says nothing of Popish succession or of a Roman priesthood!>>

You are right, the word "pope" isn't in the Bible nor does Jesus say "I appoint a Roman priesthood", but he did appoint a priesthood and he did give Peter authority over his other Apostles. But God did appoint Apostles and those Apostles with the authority given to them by Jesus appointed priests and bishops and deacons. They chose successors (i.e. Judas' place was filled instead of left empty) and passed on their seat.

<<They would still be burning Christians and Jews if they had not been restrained.>>

Now, that is just hateful. Catholics are Christians and we didn't burn Jews. I don't see you saying that Protestants would still be burning supposed witches if they had not been restrained. I don't see you saying that in England they would still be murdering hundreds and thousands of Catholics who refused to leave the Church.

• 1 decade ago

Read your history. The Catholic Church had nothing to do with the death of Tyndale. He was killed on the orders of Henry the Eighth. It happened after the King had broken with Rome.

• 1 decade ago

They judged that the translations would contain inaccuracies which change meaning.

They were correct,. This did happen in all translations and was exacerbated by making translations from translations.

They also judged that people reading the Bible for themselves would do something that many of them were guilty of. That is reading out of contexts to justify a personal agenda.

Again they were right. Just turn on a televangelist. or listen to a fundamentalist pastor.

• Shar B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Catholic Church held power over the common people who were mostly uneducated and illiterate. The Catholic Bible was written in Latin which the early Church Fathers read. They held the belief that only they could interpret what the scriptures meant and that only they had the right to read from it. When the Bible began to be translated into the common language of the common people, the commoners could read for themselves what the Church was incorrectly practicing and teaching. They no longer held the Church in high esteem. The Church endeavored to silence those who tried to diminish their role in any such capacity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What they used for all who disagreed with them. Bundles of sticks tied together called Fa-its not allowed to use the word ROFL. They made a much hotter fire than logs so that was suppose to be compassionate. They frequently burned gay folks that way also. The reason the f word is use for them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.