Why does the liberal media defend the David Letterman Sarah Palin Joke?

It seems like the liberal media want to argue with Sarah Palin about everything. The today show is saying that she over reacted. Why do they hate her so much? The election is over.

http://www.cultureandmediainstitute.org/articles/2009/20090612123539.aspx
Update: Wayne_Kerr69: You are a F'in A hole!!!! My brother is mentally challenged. You have no idea what it's like to have a disabled family member. Or how hard it is for a parent to have to see their child go through life with so many problems. Parents understand what is in store for these kids. They know there... show more Wayne_Kerr69: You are a F'in A hole!!!! My brother is mentally challenged. You have no idea what it's like to have a disabled family member. Or how hard it is for a parent to have to see their child go through life with so many problems. Parents understand what is in store for these kids. They know there are going to be A holes like you making fun of them and laughing at them. When I was a kid in grade school I saw other kids picking on my brother. It's not a fun life. So you can F off dick!
Update 2: Alex C. You complain about hunting animals, but let me guess, you support a womans "choice" to abort her baby?