Would you be offended if your professor was staring at your insulin pump and your cgms site incessantly?

My professor stares at my pump and the lump from my cgms site on my arm, when he thinks I am not looking at him, every single class, multiple times. I also sit dead center, front row, so it's obvious when he's staring at it. I'm already in to my fourth class this semester, and I'm very annoyed. He first noticed the devices during the second class, when I was reaching in my backpack for a calculator. I don't like drawing attention towards myself, and I am self-conscious like most women.

I have academic accommodations at my school due to multiple medical reasons, which I informed him of during my third class. He knows I am a type 1 diabetic because he asked what the accommodations are for. He was kind of shocked...."I didn't know....I couldn't tell that you were diabetic..". I think his shocked response was due to the fact that he was already noticed the devices but he didn't know what they were for (medical needs).

He still continues to stare at the devices, except he is more careful now, but I still think it's very rude.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions on how to resolve this matter.

Would you feel uncomfortable too if your professor continued to stare at the devices?

Best Answer

Yes i would be offended. and I have had this happened.

At the next class either before or after go up to him and say something like this

" I notice that you keep looking at my insulin pump and CGMS I was wondering if I could answer any questions you may have"

I did this with my teacher who keep staring at mine. She had A LOT of question and I was glade to answer. Now she knows that instead of just looking she can ask any questions she may have.

I also told her after the conversation " Now I just want to let you know when you stare at me or it like that I feel really uncomfortable. So I hope this has helped you understand that if you have ANY question feel free to ask."

Source(s): Type 1 Diabetes, and College Student

If I wore an insulin pump, I imagine I'd get used to the stares, whispering, and pointing eventually, but constant stares from *one person* would get uncomfortable after a while. I don't think that he should have asked for the details of your 'medical accommodations,' and now that he knows, I see no reason why he's so curious. I'm also surprised that he said "I couldn't tell you were diabetic." Does he think diabetics have horns or something?

You could report him, but that's a little passive aggressive and might result in angry stares rather than interested ones, you know what I mean? The best solution is to speak to him directly. You could say, in the nicest voice possible, "I notice you looking at my insulin pump quite often. Do you have any questions?" This accomplishes two goals: 1) you're letting him know that he's not being as inconspicuous as he thinks and 2) you're offering him the opportunity to ask any questions, which might alleviate some of his curiosity.

He's probably not used to seeing these things. Perhaps he's never seen them before. Ask him if he'd like to examine them close up, and explain what everything is.

I very much doubt that he's doing it to be rude, more likely he's very curious about diabetes. Or maybe a family member has suffered or died from diabetes, and he's trying to conquer his fear of the disease.

You cannot die of embarrassment. I found this out when I gave birth in a teaching hospital, and had a dozen or more aspiring doctors staring up my birth canal. Seriously, people look different. If you look very different, or have very different objects attached to you, other people are going to be curious about this. So just go ahead and let him take a good long look.

You can help by providing some education to you professor directly or indirectly about being diabetic. Right now it would be better indirectly. Some reading material or such. You also have to educate yourself about the very strong stigma that is attached to all diabetics.

Then move on! Don't make his problem your problem. You focus should be your education and your good health. You did say the professor was "trying" not to be obvious.

Best Wishes

• jenius

I am never bothered when people look at my pump or ask what it is and how it works. I think it's nice people take notice and want to learn more. He is probably curious about them and is afraid to ask questions. I also feel it's important for people who are around me every day to know that I am insulin dependent so they will know how to react if I get too low or too high. Relax it's not that big of a deal unless you make it one.

i would definitely get annoyed by the staring.

but i am going to be using a pump soon so i should probably prepare myself for it haha.

since you told him it's for your diabetes i would think he would not stare anymore.

but if he does just tell him you are uncomfortable about it, and that there is nothing you can do about it, they are apart of you.

if that doesn't work you might want to switch classes, if it really gets to you.

I would make a shirt that says if your have question ask me, but I prefer you stop staring!!!!

Source(s): type 1 for 17 years