Did you allow your baby to have the vitamin K shot at birth? Why or why not?

I found out that its required by law in my state (New York),although the nurses never mentioned that they gave it to my daughter. So just because you didn't hear about it doesnt necessarily mean your baby didn't get it. It is important to help the baby's blood clot, but it also increases the risks of childhood cancer. A better solution is oral vitamin K supplements... but I have no choice in the matter because its a law in my state.

Elyse's mom - you are completely right. also, i breastfeed, but formula feeders might be interested to know that there are excessively high levels of vitamin k in formula, yet they still inject your kid with it at birth.

• Favorite Answer

ive never heard of that! i dont think my baby got it.

I did but I wasn't aware she was even getting it at the time. Now that I know better I will do the oral supplement in the future if at all. The reason being is that I am leery of sticking my newborn child with anything and I don't think vitamin K is totally necessary.

Babies are born with enough vitamin K in their body naturally - it is when the medical personnel clamps or cuts the cord too soon that the body is stripped of it (plus all of the iron stores...).

Also - colostrum contains vitamin K so if you breastfeed immediately after birth no need...

Source(s): learned this from a mother on a Y! group I belong to

Hemorrhagic disease of the newborn was reportedly very common in earlier times (reference below) but exact statistics are not given. It is now rarely seen because of the routine administration of vitamin K to the newborn. To my knowledge, there is no vitamin K preparation that is approved for newborns via the oral route. Oral administration is effective, however.

In 1990 Golding found an increased incidence of leukemia in children who received vitamin K injection in England. When these studies were repeated in the United States, the association was minimal if any.

I don't think there is a good way at arriving at the truth unless we stop giving vitamin K to large numbers of newborns. That is a scary thought for those of us who have seen the results of intracranial hemorrhage, albeit from other sources. But only then will we be able to assess risk versus benefit with more certainty.

Source(s): Schaffer: Diseases of the Newborn, 1965. I cited this old reference for its historical content, not its current applications.

I've been meaning to ask this question for ages.

I know for sure Jackson had it after birth, but I thought it was routine and again, something that was supposed to happen.

I haven't done much research on it but i think it's about time I start.

I just don't see how this human race existed without these pre-medicine treatments they force on all of us.

To have something be a "law" in your state and you can't even refuse the vitamin k shot and go other routes, that's complete doctor control to the max.

I would do a little more research on it and see if maybe there is a loop hole you can jump through if you are uncomfortable with it and maybe there are other options for you in offering this new one vitamin k, in safer ways, after birth.

I knew nothing about it when Sophie was born (go me....), so yeah she had it. This time of course I'm homebirthing so it's not an issue of my refusing it. It's not necessary really, especially since I am not messing with the cord until it's limp and white. I breastfeed also....so yeah. ;)

If I were you I'd look into waivers if you don't want the shot. You are allowed in NY to refuse vaccines; all you do is sign a waiver. I honestly doubt you have no choice. Good luck girl!

Source(s): 20 weeks with #2

Yes I did, I read up on it before she was born and everything I read was accurate.

I also read this:

Newborn infants routinely receive a vitamin K shot after birth in order to prevent (or slow) a rare problem of bleeding into the brain weeks after birth. Vitamin K promotes blood clotting. The fetus has low levels of vitamin K as well as other factors needed in clotting. The body maintains these levels very precisely.(1) Supplementation of vitamin K to the pregnant mother does not change the K status of the fetus, confirming the importance of its specific levels.

And of course I wanted it right away. I usually get all the vaccines, but always read up on them first.

Yes because I didn't want her blood not to clot and for a bleed to occur on the brain. The risks are so miniscul and not even proven to be true that its not worth risking the life of your child for!

I believe the same with MMR, your born with autism, you don't develop it from an injection completely unrelated... its madness!

Yep, I read up about it after I saw my birth form... although they gave her it the day after birth.

they didnt ask me if they could. they just did it and i said "what is that?" and they told me as they were doing it.

Sadly wasn't even offered it..

Source(s): Mom of 4