Mike
Mike asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone else think that the FDA shouldn't be regulating tobacco?

It seems to me that this is yet another intrusion into our personal lives. I don't smoke and don't intend to smoke. But what's next? A Fat Tax on Big Macs? They're already talking about a soda tax on sweet drinks. Obama is raising our taxes and intruding into our everyday life decisions about lifestyle and choices.

Best Answer

Yes, this is a very scaring precident being set. All business owners should be paying attention, the government only has to mark your company as producing something they don't like and the government will sick their attorneys on you!

Soda tax was considered in California, fast food tax was considered in another, all proposed by Democrats! That party has become the party of life decisions for the rest of America.

Americans are smart and can decide for themselves what is appropriate and what is not. We don't need a government Czar to tell us a Bigmac is bad, I know! But sometimes I still want to enjoy one anyway!

Who do these taxes hurt? The low income thats who, fast food is delicious and cheap, but raising taxes in the name of "it's not good for you" only hurts those who can't afford pricier meals. What happens if a Burger King or Mc Donalds is the only resturaunt around?

THe whole tobacco thing irritates me too! I occasionally dip, and have seen an obseen tax placed on a product I frequently buy, this is facism! If you don't comply, we will raise the tax so much that you will comply! Otherwords, make it so painful to you, you will do as I want!

This Governmental mentality is remenicient of dictatorship's, not a free government!

If this vice tax (targeting etc.) hasn't hit something you enjoy, eventually it will! If we let government go after tobacco, next it will be Nintendo's, PS-2's, Laptops, cell phones etc.

Anything that poses a significant risk to public health should be regulated. Furthermore, any company or individual wishing to make a profit selling substances which are guaranteed to kill people should also be regulated, if not put out of business entirely.

Think about it: the executives and shareholders of big tobacco are quite literally profiting from the death and sickness of their fellow Americans. Are you seriously suggesting that they should not be regulated to some extent?

Also, I think you have a misunderstanding regarding what an "intrusion into personal lives" constitutes. You see, the Constitution protects the right of individuals to do whatever they please, including taking risks by partaking in vices like tobacco and alcohol, so long as their activities don't hurt anyone else.

Right now, few want to prohibit individuals from smoking, as this is a free nation, but most of us do want to see big tobacco held responsible for their activities, which, by the way, do hurt people beyond the scope of their own corporations.

My point? People are free to inhale, chew, or otherwise consume tobacco, but people are not entirely free to push those same activities on others, as big tobacco is doing right now.

There's a lot of stuff that they regulate that they shouldn't be that is much higher on my priority list that Ciggs. Huge tobbacco companies have the financial capital to be able to deal with regulations. Small farmers who the FDA is destroying do not have the same status.

No. I think that when the tobacco industry starts marketing cigs that taste like candy aiming specifically to target young children, then the government MUST step in.

no, Food and Drug Administration. Go to any rehab and try to get up to talk and say alcohol and tobacco are not drugs. they are drugs that are highly addictive and kill millions every year, and are the 2 biggest reasons we pay so much for health care

They make every other drug illegal, cigarettes do so much harm to people they need to be illegal as well.

This is just the first step towards saving lives and a healthier America.

• jonds

No, and if they had any balls they would just make them illegal and then we could fill our prisons up with more criminals. I do believe most of our founding fathers were tobacco farmers.

Yes, if people want to smoke, let them. They're only hurting themselves.