Jehovah’s Witnesses: What’s the difference between self-defense and joining the military?

If you were out witnessing with your daughter in a bad part of town (and hoodlums attacked you), then it’s my understanding that if you could not run away, Jehovah would permit you to use reasonable force to defend your daughter. But Jehovah doesn’t permit you to participate in military service – which is... show more If you were out witnessing with your daughter in a bad part of town (and hoodlums attacked you), then it’s my understanding that if you could not run away, Jehovah would permit you to use reasonable force to defend your daughter.

But Jehovah doesn’t permit you to participate in military service – which is completely understandable when it’s not a defensive war. But there have been several cases in history where the USA was attacked and invaded by a foreign enemy (most recently in June of 1942, where the Japanese invaded Northern Alaska). In this case, it’s all about self-defense.

So let’s suppose the year was 1812 and the British were invading, attempting to pillage your family farm and rape your wife and daughters. What if the local militia wanted to enlist your services in defense of your small homestead? It’s my understanding that you would refuse to participate because Jehovah forbids involvement with the military.

So here’s my question: Why does Jehovah allow you to defend your family individually, but he won’t allow you to join a group of men who are trying to achieve the same purpose militarily?
Update: Trying to care: the Bible is pretty clear about self-defense. Jesus said that the greatest act of love is to lay your life down for another person (John 15:13). The Apostle Paul said that husbands should love their wives, just as Christ loved the church (meaning he died for the church). In terms of... show more Trying to care: the Bible is pretty clear about self-defense. Jesus said that the greatest act of love is to lay your life down for another person (John 15:13). The Apostle Paul said that husbands should love their wives, just as Christ loved the church (meaning he died for the church). In terms of self-defense, Jesus told his disciples (Luke 22:36), that if they didn’t have a weapon they should SELL THEIR COAT and buy one. Finally, Jesus also never told soldiers to turn in their arms and take up a more peaceful profession. Instead, he complemented them on their “great faith.”
Update 2: Poя¢єℓαιη Vєssєℓ (στην αλήθεια: To summarize your response to my question, you would NOT assist a military unit in saving your home and family from a foreign enemy? In other words, you would regretfully allow your family be killed because “war is nationalistic.” (Maybe I’m putting words into your mouth; perhaps... show more Poя¢єℓαιη Vєssєℓ (στην αλήθεια: To summarize your response to my question, you would NOT assist a military unit in saving your home and family from a foreign enemy? In other words, you would regretfully allow your family be killed because “war is nationalistic.” (Maybe I’m putting words into your mouth; perhaps you are speaking of war generally, as opposed to my specific question about defending your homestead from British invaders in 1812.)