Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What was so controversial about the Brooke Shields movies Pretty Baby and the Blue Lagoon?

My mom said that those movies where really controversial when she was young, but I've seen the Blue Lagoon and I didn't notice anything controversial about it, Ive not seen Pretty Baby but what was all the fuss about?

• Joy M
    Favorite Answer

Brooke Shields was only 14 years old when she filmed Blue Lagoon. Although a body double was used throughout the film, sex and nudity featuring a 14-year-old is usually considered to be pretty controversial.

It was the same issue around Pretty Baby. Brooke was 13 while filming the movie; in which she portrays an underaged prostitute.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): controversial brooke shields movies pretty baby blue lagoon: https://biturl.im/FjIHV

I haven't seen Pretty Baby so I can't tell you. However, I have seen the The Blue Lagoon, but I was not yet born when it came out. Brooke Shields was 14 when she played Emeline in The Blue Lagoon, and Christopher Atkins (who played Richard) was already an adult. There was also a sex scene in the movie. There wasn't really any nudity, but they still over-reacted. Hollywood was even over-the-top back in 1980.

Pretty Baby Controversy

The above posters are right, it is her age at the time which makes the films controversial, since both films involve sex.

I posted to correct something, in Blue Lagoon she sleeps with her COUSIN not her brother, that is made very clear in the film.

• Robin

In Pretty Baby, she played like a prostitute or something and she had a nude scene and she was only 12 at the time of filming.

She was REALLY young dude...and doing "sex" scenes, granted you don't "see" anything, but still, she was only 12 when Pretty Baby was made

Nothing controversial in Blue Lagoon? She had sex with her brother, didn't know why her belly was growing, and didn't know why she popped out a baby!!

You know how she had Post Partum Blues later in life. It stemmed from her roles in those movies. It involved underage sex and child birth.