Isn't employee drug testing obviously out of control?

I saw a help wanted ad for a catering service that read, in part, "be ready for drug test that day"! A catering service.

You could walk into most job interviews drunk and get hired, but God forbid you smoke a joint 30 days prior.

What do you people think "drunk" means?

Mutt, are you sure that's your definition of drunk?

Because that definition does not require that everyone in arm's reach can tell the person is drunk.

I think you people are picturing someone slurring their words, falling down, and reeking of alcohol; which is ridiculous.

We have legal standards for determining whether a person is drunk or not, and people who meet that legal standard can EASILY get hired at MOST jobs.

• Mutt
    Best Answer

I don't think I would want to work for a place that hires someone that is drunk at the interview.

If you fail the drug test because you are doing illegal drugs, you are breaking the law, and why should they hire someone that doesn't obey the law? If you can't follow the law on this, what other laws are you going to break?

Hiring someone to work for a company is a risk. If you have a choice between someone that (as far as they can tell) obeys the laws and someone that doesn't, which would you want to hire?

*EDIT* - Drunk: Intoxicated with alcoholic liquor to the point of impairment of physical and mental faculties.

What is your definition of "drunk"?

*EDIT2* - Legally drunk is a whole different issue. Legally drunk is what you get arrested for. It can be (and lower limit usually is) below what it would take to appear drunk. you are not going to get arrested for being drunk at a job interview, unless you drive there while drunk.

But it's a moot point. If they smell alcohol, I don't know a single employer that will hire you. And, if they detect drugs in a drug test, they also will not hire you. You can hide alcohol on your breathe, and might be able to get through he interview and get hired,. But there are also methods that can allow you to cheat on a drug test and pass (search for "Whizzinator" for one product).

I don't think you could get a job if you show up drunk for the interview. Also, if you smoked a joint 30 dys before, you'll probably do it again, which could affect your job performance, especially if you work with people.

Marijuana is illegal, whether you agree with that or not, and most companies don't want to hire criminals.

"You could walk into most job interviews drunk and get hired" - Well, first off your assumption is false. I don't know one hiring manager that would hire someone that was drunk at the interview. I know of people that did not get hired because they had alcohol on their breath at an interview.

"but God forbid you smoke a joint 30 days prior." - Well, like it or not alcohol is legal and pot is not.

• .

Maybe it's an issue of alcohol not being illegal, and pot is (whether we agree with that or not). Although I wouldn't hire someone that walked into an interview drunk, your point is taken.

• Steve

your right theres absolutely nothing wrong with someone who smokes pot or does any other drug if it's not hurting anyone, but for some reason most people do not get this. and theres a certain place where someone passed out at work from being drunk (i work there) lol and she wasn't immediately fired so for some reason we consider the safe drug, pot, more safe than a drug that actually can kill someone-alcohol

Then I guess you won't be working for that catering service, will you?

If I ran a business involving preparing food for a party, driving it to the party and maintaining a respectable presence at the party, I sure as hell wouldn't want my employees taking drugs OR drinking.

Alcohol is immediately detectable, drugs aren't. Testing is the only way to verify that your employees who just screwed up a good account were stoned out of their gourds.

When are we going to require that welfare recipients, that derive their "benefits" from the fruits of the working people's labor, be tested in order to get free taxpayer money?

• wizjp

uh.... I've been tested once in 40 years of employment; working for an SEC registered company.

Small employers, personal relationships, knowing the workplace.

uhhh dude!! time to grow up and stop smoking dope!