Going on a vacation to Anchorage Alaska...?

Going on a vacation to Anchorage Alaska in the middle of July what are some things I should do? Places I should eat etc?

Favorite Answer

I'm going 5th of July. My Moon travel guide mentions a lot of food to eat. Basically it says if you can't find good food in Anchorage, you aren't trying. They have every type of food like any big city from Mediterranean, to Asian, to Mexican.

Chugach State Park is the main draw. One of the most popular hiking trains is 1.5 mile to summit of Flattop Mountain. Anchorage has tons of outdoor centers like REI and great prices on any gear you need for backpacking or hiking which are the biggest activities.

There are over 200 miles of biking trails in the park. The visitors center has bike trail maps.

River rafting- Chugach Outdoor Center and Nova Riverrunners are the two companies that lead trips down the Sixmile Creek.

H2Oasis Indoor Waterpark is also mentioned if the weather gets too hot. Though it also said Anchorage rarely gets above 65 in the summer so I'm not sure I agree with an Alaskan definition of "too hot".

Lots of fishing which isn't my thing but if you want to know about it, email me and I'll type it up. There are 4 Anchorage public golf courses.

The Saturday Market (www.anchoragemarkets.com) is downtown 10-6pm each Saturday. There is also a smaller Wednesday Market.

The best source for action is the Friday "8" section of the Anchorage Daily News. The Anchorage Press is a free weekly available all over town.

Wed and Fri downtown at noon is Music in the Park (www.ancdp.com). You could take in a semipro baseball team. Not sure when exactly you are going to be there but there is also a Bear Paw Festival (www.cer.org) which lays claim to the state's biggest parade.

We are doing one of the day cruises listed here

http://www.kenaifjords.com/

I recommend staying at one of the numerous bed and breakfasts. One great source to look www.anchorage-bnb.com though don't check trip advisor for any reviews. B&Bs are rarely listed. Or camp in Centennial Park www.ci.anchorage.ak.us/parks

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Source(s): Moon Handbooks

OK you should go to the Anchorage Zoo

but also check out http://www.10best.com/Anchorage,AK/

I hope this helped

Have a great trip I did when I went there, but my brother was 2 and he wouldnt shut up now hes is 8 and has the same proplem:)

• TopGun

two museum( art and native)

earthquake park near airport.

4th st many bars and restaurants( seafood)

most people go out of city to see denali national park and take 1 day cruise to see 26 glaciers.