why is the rebel flag (confederate) considered racist?

does displaying it mean you are racist or you just like the south?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Sakal
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some people don't realized that their were Black confederate soldiers who were on the front line fighting for their country whether they were free slaves or not. So the flag is somewhat of importance to all whether racist or not. The north wasn't innocent in this either because they wanted to send the slaves back to Africa. People who use the flag these days don't realize that its not just to antagonize blacks but a honor to those died to set the slaves free.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

from my understanding , and im from new zealand . , its a part of your history and you might not like what it was about back then , but you cant control History, it was a flag of a nation at the time of a war . much like the flags you see flown in the Arab spring . also flags aren't racist , people are!! much like guns don't kill , people do as long as there is difference'. there will always be hate, when we find outer space peps ?? then it will be im from earth your not so i hate your differences unlike hammer time . no to burn any thing shows a great deal of miss understanding on the matter . hope he never disagrees with me , whats that called when a Tyre is burnt around a person .(i forget the name ) today's youth use the flag as a sign of a rebel. nothing more.rock and roll was once a rebel sound from out of the south. shall we burn that as well. very middle Eastern burning flags ,

• 1 decade ago

Well, the reason the Confederate was different from the North was that they were willing to sacrifice the unity of this nation to continue the use of slavery. It's pretty obvious that slavery is an extremely racist and inhumane practice.

So, flying the Confederate flag shows a disregard for the struggle African American and other minority groups went through to reach a state of (at least legal) equality to the white population, as well as the struggle this nation went through to maintain its unity. Confederate and post-Confederate South was also the mainstay of the KKK, one of the most trechorous racial hate groups ever to exist, and the birthplace of Jim Crow laws that unjustly prevented former slaves from practicing their new rights.

The South is a great place in many ways, but the Confederate flag's historical significance is offensive to many people today for these reasons. And as far as I'm concerned, rightly so.

Source(s): waaay too many years of U.S. history.
  • Milly
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well, I am not really going to give you an opinion on this but I will try to explain the thinking behind it (if you really are interested -- I suspect you're trolling fer trouble):

The American Civil War was fought largely over slavery of Africans. Yes, states' rights were the ostensible issue but they would not have been an issue if it not for slavery. If you are truly ignorant of the causes and history behind the events that led up to the Civil War, you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY positively read up on them or at the very least watch Ken Burns' Civil War (one of the best films ever made).

So, you see, to make a long story short, a descendant of those slaves might not particularly like to see the representation of his ancestors' oppressors waved in his face and may counter that it's racist. If you were a descendant of an African slave, what would your reaction be to, what would be to you, a symbol of the bad ol' days for your people? This is an honest question, not a leading one, btw.

Source(s): I'm from Richmond, Virginia -- former capitol of the Confederacy and KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A flag cannot be racist. It's the meaning behind the flag. I'm not saying that owning slaves is the ONLY reason that the south wanted to succeed from the union, but it was something that they did believe in, and that opinion is also represented by this icon.

• 1 decade ago

It has both connotations. It is considered racist by some because one of the major causes of the civil war was slavery. The South (confederates) was pro-slavery and that was their flag.

• 1 decade ago

I'm from the South.

People who hang the Confederate flags are rednecks aka RACISTS. They claim pride in their "heritage." Oh yay! You're proud that your ancestors were racist against blacks, American Indians, and any other non-white. It is still a symbol of intimidation today.

These people can also be found with the "NOBAMA" sticker on the back of their pickup trucks.

• 1 decade ago

during the civil war the confederate flag was the flag flown by the side that supported slavery? i dont know for sure... but being from ky i probably should know.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because it use to be the flag of the south during Slavery, and as we all know, the South mainly supported Slavery. That's why.

• Joel S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

For some it isnt hatred, for some it is their heritage, however, there are some racial undertones(espeically in the south) to that flag, and that is why it has such a negative stigma attached to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.