First person vs. Third person Narrative?

I have a question about narrative views. (Sorry if that sentence didn’t make sense). The thing is I find when I’m writing in the third person, my story tends to get a bit wordy. It just seems like all I ever write is “He did this...” or “She did that...” and I think the actual story gets lost as it is tossed around... show more I have a question about narrative views. (Sorry if that sentence didn’t make sense). The thing is I find when I’m writing in the third person, my story tends to get a bit wordy. It just seems like all I ever write is “He did this...” or “She did that...” and I think the actual story gets lost as it is tossed around from person to person. I also find it a bit exhausting trying to find new ways to describe everything that each character is doing and thinking.

For this reason, it is much easier for me to write in the first person because I only really have to worry about one character. I can still develop the other characters conflicts and personalities; it will just be through the main characters eyes. My problem with this format is that I think it is really restrictive - both for the writer and for the reader. As the writer, I find it confining and limiting because I can only tell one side of the story. If the reader cannot relate to the main character, then they are less likely to finish the story. (Maybe this is where proper creative writing style and techniques come in handy).

My question is, is there a preferred way to write a novel – in regards to the narrative? (I’m sorry; I don’t really know how to word the question properly). I mean, do most people prefer to read novels written in the first or third person narrative? (I’ve noticed that a lot of young adult novels tend to write in the first person. One the other hand, most literature I have read seems to have been written with the third person narrative.)

Thanks :)