Can we blame Christianity for what Christian terrorist did?

His motives may be personal but so can of those as others.

Apparently we can't blame Islam since he wasn't a Muslim terrorist.

Does this prove to us that both Islam and Christianity are peaceful?

Is this a lesson for those who hate Islam for what Muslim terrorists do?

That is, 1.5 Muslim followers are peaceful. Therefore, Islam must be peaceful?

Connection is to finally conclude in agreement that Islam as well as its followers (majority) are equally peaceful just as Christianity and majority of Christians are.

I am trying to be fair with Muslims. I agree with Obama to apologize to Muslims for being unfair in judging Islam and its followers. Don't you?

Favorite Answer

All I want to see is more Muslims come out and say that what the terrorist are doing is wrong. But for some reason I do not hear, nor do I see them saying anything. Perhaps just a handful are, but that's it.

So why do a majority think that Muslims are bad? Because they are not coming out in droves to denounce what the terrorists are doing.

While you DO see a majority of Christians coming out and saying that christian extremist are wrong.

The answer is a simple no. Christianity, as well as Islam, teach peace. They share the same basic beliefs. The problem are humans.

Those who claim that God commanded them to wage holy wars simply are deluded. Those who use there religion as a reason to kill are simply cowards.

The major problem though is that people are simply ignorant. Islam owes a lot to Christianity. Christianity owes a lot to Judaism, and all three religions worship the same God. The problem is that people are too stubborn and egotistical to see that they aren't a special gift to earth, and that they aren't the few who will be saved.

So no, religion is not to blame. Since only a very slight majority are committing these terrorist attacks, the blame have to be put onto those people. It simply isn't fair, or logical to blame a religion whose majority of members are peaceful on the acts of some lunatics.

• Dan

I'm not sure I completely follow you, but I think I agree with your basic point.

It is ironic that many of the same people who distance themselves from extremists are the same people who attempt to associate all Muslims with Islamic terrorists. It's a massive contradiction, and it's entirely unfair.

We even have thousands of Muslims serving in the U.S. military. They deserve to be treated fairly, meaning they shouldn't be lumped in with Islamic extremists.

EDIT: I wonder if the posters in here who are ripping into Islam would have the guts to say those same things to the face of a Muslim-American soldier serving in our armed forces.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Or do they only "support the troops" when the troops aren't Muslim?

You judge a religion by its philosophy, not by what a minority of its follwers do without the support of the rest. Christian "terrorism" as you call it is not supported by other Christians. Islamic terrorism is however, as evidenced by the dancing and celebrating in Islamic countries the day after 9/11, and the organized planning that it required.

No we cannot blame christianity the same way we cannot blame islam. In both cases it was not the religion itself but the individual interpretation that lead these people to performing such horrible acts of violence.

i like this question. just saying. and i definitely agree. only the extremist muslims are the taliban and terrorists...just like extremist Christians are bad...just like extremist PETA members are bad...people just stereotype because a couple of Muslims happened to be bad people.

and yes i believe with obama's decision. we need to let them know that we're sorry for stereotyping one of the largest religious groups in the world because of a few idiotic bad people with a plane. it wasn't right...it's still not right. face it, we would demand an apology if the same happened with christianity.

Very true. Islam does not condone terrorist attacks, blowing themselves up, groups like Al-Qaedah and the Taliban. What they do is strictly forbidden in Islam.

The best scholars in Islam have been refuting what these twisted people do in the name of religion.

http://www.answering-extremism.com/ae/default.aspx

Sure if we can blame Islam for what bin laden done. No there will be no apology from me I did nothing wrong as did the 4000 people killed on 9/11.

Any religion can be interpreted to drive someone over the edge.

George Carlin from 1999 talking about terrorists:

There are three groups that will continue to provide us with a tremendous amount of entertainment:

Christian FUNDAMENTALISTS

Jewish FUNDAMENTALISTS

Muslim FUNDAMENTALISTS

...And just plain guys from Montana.

In America we have had just a handfull of home grown christian terrorists. Some, but not many.

There are bad apples everywhere regardless of religion.