AP Chemistry Question [NOT homework(:]? {}{10 POINTS!}{}?

I'm officially a Sophomore now, and trying to pick between AP Biology and AP Chemistry this year (I love science and math, planning on going to med school).

But what I'm wondering is: What math is involved in AP Chemistry? ie. Algebra l, Algebra ll, Geometry, what?

And what is on the exam exactly? How hard is it?

Thanks!

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

Chemistry involves farily simple algebara.

Chemistry is fundamental to advanced Biology. I would recommend that you take the Chem first. You will find the Chem to be more helpful for the Biology than the other way around.

In the school that I taught at AP Chem and AP Bio were both second year classes meaning you need to take Bio and Chem before taking either.

If you haven't taken the regular Bio, I wouldn't recommend the AP Bio.

Hope this helps,

Mike - Total Registration, LLC

http://www.TotalRegistration.net - Helping high schools simplify the AP exam registration process by registering students for the exams online.

Source(s): taught science for 11 years

The math in AP Chem is pretty much Algebra I.

The exam, however is a different story. It covers a broad range of topics, like chemical structure, electrochemistry, limited reactants and stoichiometry, lab-based questions, etc. Split into multiple choice and free response questions. Free response is guaranteed to have an equilibrium problem, and a reaction question.

Bottom line is, the topics are pretty easy to understand, but you need to study--hard--to pass the exam.

Source(s): took the class this year. :)
  • Karen

Does your state offer online school? If not, Florida Virtual School is a really good online school and it offers APUSH. If you're not a Florida resident, you have to pay, but the people I know who took APUSH online felt pretty confident about the test. I do not know about AP Psych, but self-study for APUSH is a VERY VERY bad idea, unless you are some sort of history buff. Passing the APUSH exam can really come down to how good of a teacher you had, just as much as how well you paid attention. Most teenagers don't have the discipline to self-study for APUSH, so it is probably a bad idea. The textbook that most APUSH classes use is The American Pageant, so if you can get a hold of it, it would probably be a big help.

Chemistry (GEneral CHem in college) for me was both easy and hard. This class can be hell depending on the PRofessor. And btw, you just need simple Algebra to do chem. I am a bio major, so I opted on taking AP bio and it helped a lot. Good luck with your decision.

You need to be good at setting up algebra equations.

First order equations with just a smattering of quadratic.

Geometry may come in a bit in molecular shapes and crystals.

You will need to deal with logarithms in pH.

You will need to work with powers and roots up to perhaps 5th or 6th in equilibrium calculations.

It's all pretty basic as long as, when asked what X is, you don't say "It's the 24th letter of the alphabet."

• Stimpy

Mostly algebra l