Is it legal for the testers to watch you during a drug test for work?

I was reading another question on here asked by someone else and it got me wondering about this time when I worked at a manufacturing plant. One night we came into work (graveyard) and there were these people there giving everyone drug and alcohol tests. When my turn came up, I was horrified to be followed into the stall by this woman, who not only stayed in there with me but she stared right at my lap while I was trying to go!!!!! I had the hardest time going until she turned her head for just a second to talk to someone outside the stall. But I was so offended. I had not committed a crime, was not using drugs or alcohol, was just coming into work as always and I (and everyone else there) was treated like a criminal!!! Was this legal??

Best Answer

Well, yeah, they need to make sure you don't have a Whizzinator hidden in your pants.

I'm fairly certain it is.

And while it does prevent cheating, it really isn't necessary to do that. When I had my drug test for work, the tester searched my pockets and took my purse, then led me to the bathroom door. She waited outside.

If I had been in your situation, I would have refused to do the test, even though I would probably be fired. I don't mind employers drug testing their employees, but I don't think they should be watching them pee. I wouldn't support it by going through with the test in those circumstances.

Yes, it's legal. Some people try to submit a sample that is not their own for these tests. If the tester watches the sample process, there is less chance of fraud.

Yes. Many employers have someone watch you while you do a drug test. Don't take it as someone accusing you, it's just company policy for many companies to make sure you or someone else doesn't take someone else's urine in the bathroom with you.

confident, to a factor, that's needed to insure which you're voiding the pattern, not utilising a hidden source for the try. everybody is standard to have a field of urine to pour into the try tube particularly than surely donating the pattern themselves.

It is required on DOT and some employment drug testing. Yes, it is legal. You are aware people cheat on the pee tests, right?

The act of having someone monitor you while you provide the sample is not illegal. In fact, it is pretty normal custom to prevent you from using another sample and bypassing the test.

• ?

Yes it is legal. Just to many cheaters before this was instituted

yes, although many of them don't I believe you can request a person of the same sex be present instead and the company will be forced to comply.

• Murphy

Yes, it's legal.