Leukemia--anyone know any good books or the symptoms?

What are the symptoms of leukemia? And does anyone know any good fiction books about it? (Ex: Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Mr. Sonnenblick/a book about a person with leukemia.) Thanks :)

Just wondering :-)

Favorite Answer

It depends on what type of leukemia a patient has. Some are chronic leukemias that may go on for years before diagnosis, and others are acute leukemias that must be diagnosed immediately and treated within the first 48 hours. The most common chronic leukemia are CLL and less common CML. Both chronic leukemias are most common in older adults and rare in children. Children, more often, are diagnosed with an acute leukemia - most commonly ALL. AML is more rare than ALL and also found mostly in people over the age of 50.

My 2 1/2 year old son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, he's on his 3rd right now, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

Some novels you may consider reading include:

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Sadako and the thousand paper cranes by Eleanor Coerr

Zink by Cherie Bennett

House of Many Gods: A Novel by Kiana Davenport

The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters: A Novel by Elisabeth Robinson

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

If you're looking for a story where someone has leukemia

"Don't Die My Love" is supposed to be really good. I have it but haven't read it yet (reading another book) I don't know if it's leukemia that the person has but I know they have some kind of cancer.

Heres the main symptoms of Leukemia:

Fatigue

Malaise (vague feeling of bodily discomfort)

Abnormal bleeding

Excessive bruising

Weakness

Reduced exercise tolerance

Weight loss

Bone or joint pain

Infection and fever

Abdominal pain or "fullness"

Enlarged spleen, lymph nodes, and liver

I think the book My Sister's Keeper is about leukemia or some type of cancer.....they're making the movie of it and one of the character's in the previews has some type of cancer.

if you think you have cancer GO TO THE DOCTOR!

I had leaukemia as a child, some symptoms are:

Joint pain

Tiredness

Random Bruising

Nausea

Weight Loss

Bugs/Fevers

Source(s): 15 year old cancer survivor

Go to a doctor now if you even think you have cancer.

The longer you wait the harder it will be to save you.

Do not play doctor .

Do not let it get into stage 4 by waiting months.

go 2 the library

• Char

Here is the site with the best info:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

Best wishes

Source(s): Lymphoma Survivor

Isnt that when your blood turns black?

You bleed alot(NOSE)

Headaches

Low Stamina

go to the internet and go to the library