bill s
bill s asked in TravelUnited StatesPhiladelphia · 1 decade ago

Why do all Pittsburgh's sports teams wear black/gold?

I just became aware that the Pirates, Steelers and the Penguins all have black and gold as their team colors. Assuming that they have different owners, why would they all have the same colors? Do the colors black/gold have a symbolic significance? Are they the official city colors or is it just a mystery?

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

I hate to have to say this but everyone has it wrong, at least in part.

Black and gold comes from the city's official colors, derived from William Pitt's coat of arms.

The Steelers (not the University of Pittsburgh) always wore black and gold. The Pirates adopted it in 1948. When the city became known as the City of Champions during the 70s, the Penguins (who had worn red, white and blue) switched over also. They wanted to be in on the black and gold act.

University of Pittsburgh does NOT wear black and gold. They wear blue and gold, as I did when I went there.

Check the link - there's a pretty good article about all this.

• Karen

The city is black and gold. Its sorta like uniting everything in an aspect. I've been to a Pirate game where people will have Penguin shirts on and be supporting the penguins at the same time since they'd be playing or something like that. The police cars are black and gold, the flag is, everything is basically. And it sure makes sport team days easy when it just has to be "Black and Gold Day". I actually prefer it this way instead of different colors. You Idiot: Pittsburgh actually isn't as dirty as it has been in the past. It's cleaning up well.

Black And Gold Sports Teams

• eber

Pittsburgh Sports Teams

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just became aware that the Pirates, Steelers and the Penguins all have black and gold as their team colors. Assuming that they have different owners, why would they all have the same colors? Do the colors black/gold have a symbolic significance? Are they the official city colors or is it just a...

Source(s): pittsburgh 39 sports teams wear black gold: https://biturl.im/Uaw0Q

The gold represents the city's "Golden Triangle" district, which is why, on the Penguins' logo, the gold is in the form of a triangle.

But the Penguins adjusted from blue to black to match the University of Pittsburgh's and Pirates' colors in the '70's. Note that Duquesne (the other NCAA Division I school in town) doesn't share these colors, so it's not across the board for Pittsburgh teams necessarily.

Amazed that I found this topic already answered! It's like you read my thoughts!

PSSHH

This question should be put in the "Pittsburgh" section... OH WAIT! there isn't one! HEHEHE

They have black and gold because they wanna be fancy and try to one up Philly and be a "nicer" city. Too bad they are in the middle of nowhere and it doesn't matter what they do :P

Not sure how to answer this one

They are significant to the city; the color black is associated with the color of their lungs after breathing the air there and the color gold is the color of their pee from all the beer they drink to drown their sorrows for having to live in such a crummy city.