Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

jews: a question about who can wear the Star of David?

okay this may seem like a really dumb question. First I should explain myself. I am thirteen years old and wish to convert to Judaism one day. I was wondering If it would seem disrespectful for me to wear a Star of David necklace? I read in another question that someone said they were offended my a non-jew wearing the star of david.

However in a way I think I am under a different circustance. Unlike the other person I know its meaning and I will be Jewish someday. Would you consider that to be different.

This question right here is the one that sounds dumb. Also it depends on if people think It wouldn't be offensive for me to wearone. I don't own a star or David necklace. I have swimteam and meets and things. And this might sound odd... considering this is coming from a non-jew but on the morning of the surgery I had I drew a little Jewish star on the inside of my arm. It made me feel more powerful. Kind of like G-d was with me and I had the power to be able to get through it. But sometime when I was asleep during the surgery, I had a weird dream consisting of the jewish Population getting mad at me for wearing a jewish star and not being Jewish.

anyway when I had my swim meet and when I had an exam yesterday I had the urge to write the sign on my arm or on my body or on a peice of paper to keep in my pocket. I know it sounds strange. but i didn't do it because i didn't want to offend anyone. So please can someone tell me if I am allowed to wear The Star of David. I mean I know that there isn't going ot be some police force checking to see if i have one on when im not supposed to but i want to be respectful.

Please remember that I am 13 and even though on Y!A that doesn't exclude me from being trolled... I think it counts for sometimthing. And the Star of David has a meaning for me. I guess how some christians feel about the cross. If that makes sense. I don't mean to offend anyone. Thank you for your answers!

Troll Hunter: Thank you that mean's alot.

I would also like to add that I am in NO WAY Chrisitan. I have no intention of becoming a M. Jew. (I am not sure how to spell it for sure.) I do not believe in Jesus the way Christians do. So I am not going to double cross anyone.lol.

DS M: sorry. You didn't help. You just confused me... what was your point-no offense. Like i said I am thirteen.. so dumb it down for me a bit. and also..what!??

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's wrong that you want to wear a Star of David it shows that you respect the religon and its people.

I myself have started wearing the Star of David in the form of earrings.

I too plan on converting to Judaism and am looking forward on the 2+ year preparation.

It is your choice to wear it as long as you treat the symbol with appropriate respect and not misuse it like wearing it with a cross or some other symbol.

Don't worry, you will not offend anyone. I don't even understand why you would think it would offend- or why the answer you read in another question thinks it is offensive to wear the Star of David.

If you want to wear one, wear it. Don't be afraid or worried about what other people might think. It is a free country, free world. No one can tell you what to do when it comes tor religion. Especially the Jewish religion.

S..... :)

I read your question and felt compelled to answer - even as I am not what you will consider a traditional jew - but I DO feel I belong with the people God has selected.

You'll be surprised to know this, but "not all of Israel are of Israel". This was said by a man who was a Doctor of the Torah and studied with one the most venarable Masters of the Torah, Gamaliel. This actually mean that "a jew" is "internally" a jew, and not just a person that wears a Star of David and follows certain 'traditions', but rather someone that cares what Jehovah - God of Israel - wants all of us to do and learn.

The Star of David sugests two mountains - which was used by God to represent a government (as the US, for instance), comming to each other to a point in common, one into the other. They are base-up (from heaven), and base-down, from the earth. That means that the Kingdom of David - that represented the God of Israel seated in His place of residence INSIDE the Temple that Solomon built, in the place called The Holy of Holies, where the Arc was located; inside this Arc you could find the Rod of Aaron, the Mana (bread used to feed them in the desert) and the Tablets of the 10 Commandments. The room was lit - without external windows - by the miracle of the light from God, the Shekinnah. Nobody could enter this place but the Holy Priest once a year. This Kingdom on earth was to encounter the Kingdom of Heaven, brought down by the Son of Jehovah, the Messiah born of a virgen made. You can read all this in the hebrew scriptures I suggest here:

Da 9:25, Daniel 9:24-25, Isa.7:14, Psa. 72:10, Jer. 31:15, Ho. 11:1, and there are many, many more.

I hope that whatever you learn, may glorify Jehovah, and yes, it's Ok to wear the Star if you so want, I would say. But who am I to tell you otherwise?

As long as you wear it with respect, and don't do anything that would bring dishonor on the Jewish community, I see no reason why anyone would be offended. If you do something that would reflect poorly on them then I think it would be very offensive.

answer: I was advised not to wear the Magen David until I was nearly through my conversion period.

Suzy Q is incorrect. Non-Jews are discouraged from wearing it. If someone wears a cross and is an idiot or even a criminal, Christians get a bit miffed for giving Christians a bad name - same caution. She's not Jewish yet, but Yes, she will be welcomed with open arms, especially if she's honest and not attempting to play both sides of the fence and hedging bets by playing Jew but being a Christian.

There's nothing that says you can't have a Star of David drawn on a piece of paper and tucked in your clothing. Or wear a Magen David tucked inside your clothing.

No, you aren't being offensive, it's a legitimate question, especially for someone wanting to convert.

Source(s): Suzy - B/S! You continually insult and attack Jews on this board for their stance against wannabes calling themselves "Messianic Jews". If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck and attacks Jews for speaking out against "Messianics" it must be Suzanne. All REAL Jews are Messianic. "Messianic wannabe Jews" are Christians.

Just as long as it is a pendant, I see no problem Jews could have with it...

If on teh other hand you decided to wear a yellow star of david patch sewn onto your clothing, that would be offensive...

Hi Norah--I've read your other questions and know that you're sincere. I personally would not be offended at all if you wore a star of David. Best of luck on your journey!

Source(s): I'm Jewish.

a lot of pagans wear hexagrams, it's not unique to judaism. the symbol also appears in hinduism, and is especially significant to alchemists. if it's a symbol that comforts you, you should wear it regardless of what others think about it. when you approach a rabbi about converting, ask him or her if it's appropriate to wear while going thru the process and respect the rabbi's wishes.

edit for suzanne: your answers are often offensive to jews, so why should it occur to aravah that you're being sarcastic?

Wow people are touchy.

By all means wear the STar of David.

What? Like there aren't a lot of people wearing the cross who aren't necessarily Christian. Wear it if you want to.