True or false : Quitting smoking cigarettes is as hard or harder than quitting heroin or alcohol ?

Personal story on this if you can , please ?

Have a good evening , all . D :)

Update:

JB, Me 26 years sober : still smoking

My sis 7 years heroin free : still smoking . Tough thing to quit , right ?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

We are bodily and mentally different from our fellows. (BB pp 30 - (sic))

Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and I use them to relax. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and I used it to fire things up and get the party going.

Source(s): 8968 Days, one day at a time.
  • Lilly
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

That's what I have read and heard - that the physical and psychological effects of stopping smoking are harder than quitting heroin. And with cigarettes, you see people smoking everywhere, or can still smell it on them, or see the cartons on the shelves at the store, so it's something that's hard to stop thinking about. You don't see people doing heroin on their breaks at work (atleast no where I've ever worked, lol).

I remember how hard it was for me to quit. I felt like total crap for weeks, my heart was racing like crazy, dizziness, irritability, etc. I ended up quitting by eating all the Enteman chocolate chip cookies I wanted every time I wanted a cigarette. Seriously! I gained weight, but took it off after the strongest cigarette cravings stopped.

It's worse of course if your significant other smokes. When I quit smoking, I was dating a guy who detested smoking, so I had an extra incentive =). I didn't get to kiss him until I brushed my teeth five times and if I wanted to smoke, he'd make me go outside, even in sub-zero weather.

I hope that you can quit someday honey. I know it's so darn hard to quit. Heroin users can go to clinics at the taxpayer's expense. People who want to quit smoking are on their own unless their insurance will cover treatment to help them.

Take care my friend.

• 6 years ago

Cigarettes are in fact more dangerous than heroine! Far more so! They are the 1 preventable cause if death! People think that because cigarette s do not make you high like coke method or heroine that they are a soft drug! But this socially accepted drug is the worst drug you can buy! People think nothing about burning up $5 a day and putting tar in their lungs.yet Evan crack heroine and method combined does not kill as many persons per day! And if its so easy to quit then do it! Nay I can quit anytime if I want to! But you won't want to until you doctor tells you that you have cancer and than you will say heck I'm gonna die anyway might as well keep smoking! Heroine addicts pass out from too much heroine but if you smoke to many cigarettes you get wanting some other drug to get high on! And addicted? So addicted that men in jail smuggle tobacco in that's up their butt and poop it out and people smoke it! OK don't fool yourself they are very addictive.

• relax5 years agoReport

I disagree. Smoking is very bad and it will cost you and probably end up killing you if you keep smoking, but that will take many years. However, Heroine or crack can kill you the first time you use them and certainly no user will live for 50 years if using daily.

• Joann
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Just stop, tell your-self you are stronger in mind and spirit then the cigarettes. I smoked for 10 years and quit. Mind over Matter. Also look up on line or where ever what lungs look like after years of smoking and think of that every time you want to light up. Also if you have children, do it for them. Or light a wrong end of the cigarette when its in your mouth the wrong way. Get support from a friend. Good Luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I quit meth, alcohol, cocaine, and cigarettes. Yes, each habit is hard to break, but after three days, the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are over. Not so with things like meth or heroin. Quitting heroin makes you very ill, and that makes it more challenging to quit than cigarettes. You want to stop being sick. Meth withdrawal leaves you so fatigued you can barely function, and the depression can last for months due to low dopamine production. Then add to that the months of post acute withdrawal. I've worked with people with substance abuse issues for years now and many, while agreeing that stopping nicotine is hard, find it laughable to compare it to quitting the other stuff.

• 5 years ago

I was a heavy smoker for 33 years and didn't find it that hard to quit. I didn't like it and was kindof bitchy (I am told) but it wasn't nearly as bad as expected and I quit cold turkey with no aids. I am also a recovering alcholic, (pysically addicted, non functional) For me, the detox is horrible, but I still slipped about 10 times before it "took". So, in my case, alchohol was worse. Also, the fear of quitting smoking, the horror stories kept me at it for 15 years after I quit alchohol. So don't assume it will be as bad for you as it is for others. In anycase, I think it depends on the person. Many, many alcholics are "functional" and not physcially addicted to achohol. And conversely, some people become physically addiction to cigarettes, I don't know why, but I didn't seem to have any physical withdrawel..

• Makwa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is true, they've studied what's in a cigarette and there are substances similar or as bad as heroin and crack in cigarettes which are part of the physical dependency, not just nicotine.

Both of my parents smoked for 35 years and then quit with spiritual help. Mom had no trouble. Dad quit and then would sneak one evey so often off someone who smoked. Then he started having trouble breathing. He was put on oxygen and could do vey little for the last two years of his life. I helped my Mom take care of him until he passed. My parents are both born-again and I know my Dad tried his best to quit. I tried amoking as a teen and was terrible at it! I am allergic to it! My Mom prayed for me to be able to quit and I stopped without any cravings or side effects. She prayed for me and just told me to trust the Holy Spirit, that he's take all that away and he did! Still like the smell, just would never smoke! No one should die like that-truly horrible. I'm glad Daddy's not in pain anymore!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

False. I used to smoke and used to drink heavily. I quit smoking about 26 years ago and curbed my drinking. I still drink but I have to be careful not to slide back into my old ways. I only drink wine and an occasional beer now with the knowledge and awareness I need to be careful of how much I consume. I never really considered myself an alcoholic but I was drinking too much and would have crashed and burned if I hadn't realized it when I did. I was a heavy smoker and realized I needed to stop that as well and quit cold turkey. It did take several attempts but the first attempts were half-hearted. I found it very difficult to quit until I got angry enough with myself to pull it off :)

• 1 decade ago

I never smoked but I went to a smoking cessation seminar once. The leader said that people who smoke view the cigarette as their best friend and that is why they can't give it up and that it is an addiction stronger than anything, food, and heroin included.

• relax5 years agoReport

Sugar has been shown to be harder to quit than any of them. It is the only one I haven't been able to conquer.

• 1 decade ago

Honestly...I don't think so. I quit smoking 3 years ago, after13 years of smoking, I know how hard it is! But, alcohol with-drawls can actually result in death, heroin with-drawls will make you wish you were dead...tobacco, not quite that rough.

Good luck, I know it can be done!

• 4 years ago

Discover How To Quit Smoking - http://Go.QuitSmokingMagics.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.