Why would an American President talk down his own country?

Despite his boldness, Barack Obama seems as fated to fail as were Woodrow Wilson and Jimmy Carter. And for the same reason: a belief in his own righteousness and moral superiority, and a belief that his ideals and his persona count mightily in the modern world.

Wilson declaimed about America's fight to "make the world safe for democracy" when in harness with the British, French, Russian, Japanese and Italian empires, all slavering to feast on the carcasses of the Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Ottoman empires.

By 1920, Wilson was a tragic failure, mocked by ex-allies and reviled by former enemies for having dishonored his own 14 Points.

Jimmy Carter declared in 1977 that "we have gotten over our inordinate fear of communism that caused us to embrace any dictator who shared in that fear." So, we undermined Nicaragua's Anastasio Somoza and the Shah, and got the Sandinistas and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

As for Barack, he behaves on the world stage like some Ivy League kid ashamed of the people he came from, letting one and all on campus know that he is nothing like his benighted family with its sordid history.

In Cairo, he confessed that America had a hand in dumping over the regime in Iran in 1953. He did not mention that the United States forced the retreat of Joseph Stalin's army from Iran in 1946.

For the 100th time, he declared, "I have unequivocally prohibited the use of torture by the United States, and I have ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed by early next year."

Is Obama unaware that Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia run prisons that make Guantanamo look like The Breakers at Palm Beach?

How many Guantanamo inmates plead to be sent home to Muslim countries?

In Trinidad, Obama sat for 55 minutes enduring Daniel Ortega's diatribe against the United States for mistreatment of Castro's Cuba and for the Bay of Pigs. Obama protested that he could not be held responsible for something that happened the year he was born.

Why could not he say to Ortega: "We also intervened in the Dominican Republic in 1965 to block a communist takeover, and in Grenada in 1983. The only problem with the Bay of Pigs is that we should have done it right and removed the odious Cuban dictatorship, and put Fidel, Raul and Che up against that same wall where so many patriots perished and spared the Cuban people 50 years of tyranny and the prostitution of their island into a base camp for the greatest despotism of the 20th century."

What is the matter with Obama that he cannot defend our Cold War conduct and Cold War presidents like Ike and JFK?

Answer: Obama cannot, because at heart he buys into the anti-American narrative that ours is a deplorable history -- of genocide against the Indians, of slavery and segregation, of robbing Mexicans of their land and of disrespecting our Latin neighbors.

Obama is determined to make the requisite apologies to show the world he does not condone the sins our fathers committed.

Obama is the anti-Reagan. Where Reagan ever spoke of the greatness and glory of America, her history and heroes, her capacity to make the world all over again, Obama is like a dismal parson, forever reminding us -- and everyone within earshot -- of our own and our fathers' sins.

Obama is not only demoralizing Middle America, he is driving away the God-and-country patriots who are sick of hearing this rot from professors and journalists, and prefer not to hear it from their president. He is ceding moral high ground to regimes and nations that do not deserve it.

If Obama believes he can build himself up by tearing America down, he is mistaken. Cynical foreigners will view it with snickering contempt, patriotic Americans with disgust. What kind of leader is it who talks down his own country on foreign soil?

America's performance in the Cold War was hardly flawless. But does anyone deny that we were on the right side, that the Soviet Empire and Mao's China and communist Vietnam and Castro's Cuba were on the side of tyranny -- and that the neutrals were by and large irrelevant or worse in that great cause?

A nation is an extended family. While families fight and quarrel, often bitterly, you do not take the family quarrel outside the family.

You don't hang the family's dirty linen on the communal clothesline.

Obama, however -- like some Hollywood actress seeking sympathy and public approbation with her tell-all biography detailing how she was abused by her father -- trolls for popularity with America's adversaries by reciting for the benefit of the world all the sins his country has allegedly committed.

When did this become the duty of the president of the United States?

Patrick Buchanan

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=32195

Yeah Pat is a bit eccentric but he knocked this one out of the park!

Thanks people, I'm reading all your answers but I think I've used enough ink on this one. You've made some very good points!

• ron b
    Best Answer

If you will remember the speech Obama gave at his inaugural "Crowning" he clearly stated to the world,and his future subjects that he was going to "Change America".He has been a man of his word so far.All I can say is America has had the misfortune to elect 4 persons who truly hold contempt for their country,and its people,Wilson,Roosevelt,Carter,and now Obama.It is My fear that the current president will,if not checked,do more harm to America than all the others combined.History tells us what his goals are,but still we sit on our "politics" and gripe,nothing more.The storm is coming my brothers & sisters as sure as the sun rises in the east.

Source(s): Pergressives In American Politics

Because Obama hates America. He also wants to change America into a banana republic.

I'm saying this but I'm sure, in his own mind, he does not think of it this way.

He hates capitalism because he sees it as creating inequality among the people who live in this nation. He thinks that capitalism is what is keeping down the poor and allowing a few people to become obscenely wealthy. He does not realize that it is the "obscenely wealthy" that are writing the paychecks for those who are willing to work to support their families and themselves. No one needs to be poor but there will always be the lazy, the incompetent, the crazy, addicts, and others who cannot or will not work.

He hates the Constitution (I'm sure he doesn't feel that he does) because he knows it is the mechanism that has allowed America to become the great and wealthy nation that it is. He sees it as allowing the greedy and wealthy to subjugate those who have no money or power.

He trolls for favor amongst the elite of the world because he thinks that they show the way to true egalitarianism. (I'm sure that there is a personal wish to be recognized as great about this too.)

Obama may not recognize the destruction he is wrecking upon this nation until it is too late--or he, being so wrapped up in his own ego and insouciance, may never see it.

However, this nation is going to be changed forever. The economy will crumble, business will come under the purvue of the federal government entirely (fascism), and people will be divested of all the comforts and rights that they have come to expect.

Or it may simply be that America will become so weak that some foreign power will see it as the perfect opportunity to destroy us utterly.

You will have to decide which is the kinder end for this once-great country.

I guess you missed the part when Obama spoke up for the US and flat out said that Europeans had been unfair to the US, huh??? Anyhoo, the US has been arrogant. In some cases, we've bullied other countries, it's acted without concern for the welfare of other nations. It hasn't "played nice." Granted, the US has been EXTREMELY generous to other nations and an amazing asset to countries around the world. If you want to pretend the US has NEVER done anything wrong, that's you. I prefer honesty.

Why does anyone talk down on their country? Because they think that they have all the answers, for one. For another, they think that if they talk down on their country, they're putting their enemies at ease. Then, their enemies will think kindly towards them. After all, everyone knows that the president speaks for everyone, right? So whatever comes out of his mouth is how all his countrymen feel too. And if that's so, then the rest of us also aren't feeling so hot about our country either. That's convoluted reasoning at its finest, brought to you by your local ivy league college. If you tell people how disappointed you are about your country, you make them believe that you're the "man" to change that disappointment into approval by everyone in the world. The problem with that is that there's no one person in the world that can please everyone. While he's "pleasing" all the elite of our enemies, some of those same enemies are secretly laughing up their sleeves at his naivete of their true feelings. If he only knew what their agenda really was, he'd stop trying to win their friendship, and take care of business here at home. While it's true he's been a very busy bee here at home, there's still a lot to be done. It used to be, that the V.P. used to do a lot of this globetrotting,glad-handing that Mr. Obama's been doing. Why haven't we heard what our V.P. has been up to recently? Is all his experience being wasted? It would be a shame to waste all his years of being a politician, since he was built up on that very issue. Of course, I probably missed any mention of some great deed he's done recently. With all the stuff happening in our country, he might have just gotten lost in the shuffle. Mom always said that if you don't have anything good to say, shut up. I'll take that advice now, since what I want to add about this matter wouldn't be nice. <*)))><

• Sarah

You are correct in what you wrote. The reason Obama is hanging American in every country is that he is not an American. He doesn't care about what our four fathers fought and died for, our constitution, our National Anthem nor our Flag. He is still a mystery man that no one knows anything about except what he has done to our country since January. And that is to tare us apart and make us pay for other peoples mistakes and greed..

I think Obama sees himself as the leader of the New World Order, he has a bigger plan in mind than just President of the US I feel he is so confident in his righteousness that he goes out of his way to appear fair, by telling all and sundry America's sins. The west might be in love with him, but, hardliners in the mid east see him as a pushover.

I am waiting for him to start telling of America's greatness, its generosity, there when its allies needs it.

The same reason the enemy has no issue talking down to their opponent. He's obviously not working for teh American people, or with the people.... he's against the people of whom he's president. That brotha' from another motha'... ain't realted to America! Bully factory!

Fear,if they like me they won't hurt me.He wants to be liked. He achieved that goal in American so now he is trying for the whole world.Lions,tigers and bears.He wants to be the most famous Prez we ever had.Maybe the greatest President of the world.I think it might be from childhood fears of who am I or I will be anything you want if you like me. Its how he survived his topsy turvy black and white world.He was trained to be ashamed of America just as his wife said she was.Good job Harvard.

People have suggested "White Guilt" was able to catapult Obama to his presidency, well, "Western Guilt" is what came out of his mouth, the same thing that treats Israel like despot instead of treating Israel like the democracy it is.

Source(s): some dude

lol that dirty laundry comment reminds me of timothy leary's comment, that watching the old Crossfire was watching the left and right wing of the CIA fighting each other