Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Why do the English and German language sound so similar?

Update:

Do you have any idea how many words we use that nearly resemble theirs (sound of them)? With the same meaning?

Update 2:

You mean invaded?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Rachel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Both languages are Germanic so they have many similarities such as grammer as well. Also, both languages have also used things from Latin, Greek and French

There are quite a few words that are the same (mainly German ones English speakers use) like kindergarten, angst, and my favourite - kapputt! There are many more that are similar though like man and mann, brother and bruder, water and wasser, fish and fisch, house and haus

I do agree that they sound quite similar. English definitely isn't as harsh or guttaral but compare the English sound to almost any other language, i'd say it was very similar sounding to German.

x

• 1 decade ago

English and German are Germanic languages. And German borrowed somethings from the Latin language which English has as well. Do you remember about barbarians who invaded the Roman Empire. They almost took over the Western Empire, and created nations as we know today. Like French, Spain, England, Germany, Poland, etc.

• hammet
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

@Frank that grew to become into humorous XD. the respond will probable be that English and German are the two interior the "Germanic" team for languages confident Dutch will fall below there too so as that they maximum probable have some similarities. a extra advantageous occasion could be that Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and French are all interior the "Romance" classification it is why they have a great number of similarities. :) i could not be one hundred% suitable suited yet i understand a stable volume. -_- desire this facilitates!

• 1 decade ago

They don't. Now, there are other gutteral languages that sound like German but English does not.

Edit: There are many languages like that but they still don't sound similar when spoken.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.