? asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Corruption in Catcher in the Rye?

Hi, I'm writing an exam for english in which I have to do an essay when I get there without any notes. The topic is power often leads to corruption but can also be shared with others in the 3 books we studied this year, Macbeth, 1984 and Catcher in the Rye. The first two are easy, but I'm having trouble finding out how this would apply to Catcher in the Rye. Any suggestions or can someone point me in the right direction possibly?

Favorite Answer

It's been a long time since I read this book, but I'll give you what I can think of.

Corruption does not mean only evil or dishonest doings by people in power. Remember, Winston wanted to be corrupt, which is why he slept with Julia. Or at least that's one of the reasons. Corruption can also just be the dirtying of something innocent or pure. One of Holden's classmates had Holden write a paper for him. That's corruption. Holden hired, then fired a prostitute. He felt that having sex with a prostitute would corrupt his first sexual experience which he wanted to be clean, not just a commercial transaction. Holden tried to erase the dirty words on the wall of his sister's school to keep from corrupting her vocabulary or her young innocent mind. Never mind that she had seen that word many times and probably knew very well what it meant. Finally, his former teacher expressed a little tenderness and affection. Holden mistook this gesture for one of homosexual content, feeling that a homosexual experience would be corruption of his idea of the way sex should be, he ran from the apartment.

I hope this helps.