High Strung Horse, ways to calm him down?

Before I start I will say this. he is a barrel horse and I am a barrel racer, I knew from day one to expect an on the muscle horse, and i'm completely Capable of handling him. Now. lately he's been prancy with me when were just riding around at home. he doesn't want to walk and when we lope its fast... show more Before I start I will say this. he is a barrel horse and I am a barrel racer, I knew from day one to expect an on the muscle horse, and i'm completely Capable of handling him.

Now. lately he's been prancy with me when were just riding around at home. he doesn't want to walk and when we lope its fast paced, when i ask him to slow down he swishes his tail and will slow down for a few paces then speed up again, and occasionally he even tries to buck. I'm nothing but calm when i'm on him so i know its not my nerves shakin him up. I just wanted some opinions and maybe possible solutions. He's 10 and in perfect health.been running barrels for 5 - 7 years.
Update: The prancy behavior has been goin on since probably around the begining of April. The only thing that I have done diffrently with him was giving him the winter off this year? also I just had The chiopractor and dentist out to look at him. Like i said, he's in great health. Im using the same tack as always and... show more The prancy behavior has been goin on since probably around the begining of April. The only thing that I have done diffrently with him was giving him the winter off this year? also I just had The chiopractor and dentist out to look at him. Like i said, he's in great health. Im using the same tack as always and he's on the same feed, country acers 10% and Ultim

when I lunge him, it doesnt really help, he's always been a horse that could go all day :) He does love his job but he's never been like this in past years.