heyyy asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

How come I have nothing to say?

A lot of people at my college campus have millions of things to talk about

like movies...dances...shows.....parties.....clubs...

you name it.

I grew up in a very strict family

where I wasn't even allowed to listen to music or even go to Burger King

so it's like....how do I relate to people?

People think I'm a nice person

and don't leave me out

but I have NOTHING to share or talk about

sometimes I'm alone with 2 people or more

they talk to each other...what can I say? I really can't find anything to relate to because I've never done the things they have and that's what they usually talk about....

I don't want people thinking I'm quiet...

*frustrated*

Favorite Answer

What u have said tells me that you are quite sheltered, am i right? i.e., in a way that your family is pretty protective of you. Perhaps you need to expose yourself more by reading, taking up hobbies, or just going out there to explore and meet different types of people. Being quiet is not a bad thing if you can show that you are a good listener. As long as you are not too quiet, people will not think you are weird. You don't have to know everything to talk to people. You can always ask them questions about what they are talking about, find a common ground and go from there. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience
  • If you're already independent, then you should go out and try new things yourself, like go to the park with a friend, go to a concert, go to Burger King and try a Whopper, but it's usually better with a companion and then you guys can talk about how pretty the lake is at the park or how good the burger is at Burger King, hope that helps ^^"

• Bee

Well, growing up in a strict family was then. Now is now. Read some music blogs and popular books. Watch some of the latest movies and hit TV series. Turn the radio to Z100 or 92.5 (something NOW station). Be more outgoing.

Go to Burger King.

Well what are your interests first of all. What type of music do you like? What kind of movies are you into? What classes are you taking? Just talk about things that interest you. For example: your friends and yourself are all sitting around in a coffee shop talk about what types of coffee your interested in trying ask if they have any suggestions that they could possibly give you just as an ice breaker. As time goes by it will be easier to carry on a convo with them.

Well, talk about what YOU like. Just talk about the books you read, the movies you see, the things you like to do. Don't lie and go along with it, that could lead to a big mess. When you act like you've seen a movie you haven't seen that can just make The mess bigger and then people won't talk to you. Seriously BE YOURSELF. I know that is hard to believe but your in college. People are mature they won't hate you for not knowing stuff. Just say, oh I'm not interested in that music, I like (whatever you like). They won't judge you, everyone likes didfferent things. Good luck xox

Talk about what you do know.

Even better, ask them to talk to you about what you don't know. Now's a great time to learn. Watch the news for interesting topics to talk about.

All those things you haven't done, now's maybe the time to start doing them?

I understand where you're coming from though. Sometimes you just don't have anything to say to people. Try finding other people whom you have more things to talk about with? There are certain people out there to whom I have absolutely nothing to say.

• yishor

trust me, being quiet is much better than being someone who talks non-stop. here's some solid advice:

1). people don't care as much about what you say as long as you are interested in what they have to say. as long as they keep talking and you encourage them (nod, ask clarifying questions, etc.), they are perfectly happy to do the talking. in fact, you'll probably make some friends that way.

2). start reading a lot and watching educational shows, like food channel, travel channel, discovery channel, animal planet. and read, read fiction, read biographies, read history. you can also start looking for new movies, tv shows, and music and find people who like the same stuff.

the bottom line is that if you don't feel like you know much, start learning by reading and watching. but also remember that it's much more important to be a good listener than a good talker.

• I have the same effing problem, and the only difference is that my family is lazy, and only like to watch TV. It makes me mad! Nothing funny happens in my family and whenever we go out because they are so beeping boring!

It is hard for me to make friends too. My parents lazyness and boringness had rubbed off on me...

I try really hard to make interesting things happen on my own. Like trying to think about things to say, or do daring things. I try to think outside the box and go against my parents dumb rules. My mom gets mad whenever I come home from a friends house with bruises from doing stuff.

Also, it might be the parents fault. My friend's family finds mine boring.

research a lot of thigs from pets to shoes then you can say like ''those shoes i saw in this store and there were on sale '' or like ''when im done with collage ima live in this place and it will have this and that'' orgo to the movies and if the movie you saw you can say ''my favorite part was when this and this happen''

BUT DONT BE BRAGGING ABOUT STUFF YOU DON'T HAVE OR NEVER HEARD ABOUT

because you must know about the thing you are talking about and so the conversation will get deeper and more interesting.

hope it helps :)

the best thing for you to do is to show interest in the 2 or more people. People love talking about themselves (or about a topic that they are into) and if they have you to genuinely listen to them and asking them questions that'll take their story deeper, they'll think you're the awesomest person they've ever come across.