promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Robert
Lv 4
Robert asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Should archaeology be considered a natural science or a social science?

Science is the search for "universals", archaeology presupposes the existence of universals in human culture. Although there are definitely universals within the study of paleontology, which is a very biologically based science, archaeology makes its claim as a "natural science" through interpreting artifacts (a bit of an oversimplification). Ironically, it falls under the discipline of anthropology, in which contemporary cultural anthropology rejects the idea of "progress" or "universalism".

Certainly the dating methods, cataloging of artifacts and the biological facts stated are indeed scientific, but the other claims that it makes are merely "educated guesses" at best, how could this be concrete, falsifiable "science" when hypothesis have limited tests they can undergo? I'm sure often times archeology makes predictions and finds them to be correct, but nothing like the predictive and testable nature of chemistry, physics, biology etc.

Especially when applying game theory to the archeological record, archaeologists presuppose behavior like ours in the past, and believe elements of their culture will result accordingly. When applying this method, the predictive nature is biased by the ad hoc fixes to it, because if it doesn't predict the right thing then they will adjust it so it does.

Maybe I am just biased against archaeology because I myself am a physicist, but as a philosopher of science I think that the whole of archaeology is less of a natural science and more of a glorified "social science". Maybe it lies somewhere in between.

I would like to hear from people only who are familiar with both archaeology and philosophy.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Its not even a science.

And it depends on the type of archeology. Im not too sure where it fits in, but you do have paleoecology, paleoclimatology, paleontology, paleobotony... etc. I see no reason why our archeologists cannot study the natural sciences as they were a century ago or five centuries ago.

Archeology need not focus on human development

I say its not a science because its not. Its not testable, its not replicable, its not falsifiable, it holds no real theories... just hypotheses... not unlike psychology, religion, or cosmology. They are hypotheses backed by an enumeration of observations, with a pattern extrapolated by human reasoning and prejudice.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Said
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Given that a social science is by definition the study of human society and social relationships, archeology must be a social science. A natural science is the branch of knowledge that deals with the natural or physical world.

• 3 years ago

id isn't something better than warmed-over xtian creationism, so it would perfect be categorized as "introduction mythology." it is genuinely no longer--repeat, no longer--technological information. Nope. No way. no longer even close. It has NO information helping it, yet a lot which actual disprove it. this is not merely unproven yet strongly disproven. i does not call it a social study, nonetheless you're able to do an exciting social study on id proponents to income their methods, questioning, and ideology. case in point, the psychological acrobatics that id supporters bypass by in attempting to tutor their mythology. id'ers, like many religious zealots, tend to base their arguments on a logical fallacy usual as "argument from authority." Creationism grew to become into too needless to say religious to verify in colleges, so as that they invented id to attempt to apply the authority of technological information to furnish it a veneer of credibility. yet mutually as id has taken off between those already leaning in direction of or completely believing in creationism, it hasn't fooled too many people interior the final inhabitants and somewhat few credible scientists settle for it. For greater on id, it is advisable to observe the Nova episode "Judgment Day: clever layout on Trial." The episode is accessible on line for unfastened on the link under. It covers the two the legal combat over id in Dover, PA and the medical prognosis of it. sturdy success including your paper!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.