Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My friend cut my dogs lump open help!?

My dog had this big lump on his belly, my friend said it was an infection but i couldnt take him to the vet im only 14 and my parents are gone for the day. My friend put rubbing alcohol on the dogs lump and on a very sharp knife we had, and cut the lump open! All this blood and green stuff came out and i was so mad at my friend for cutting my dog! She told me he could die with an infection like that being left alone. She squeezed the nasty stuff out and my dog was not happy and whined but he sat still and i am shocked. she put more allcahol on the cut and my dog yelped and i told her to stop, she put a bandaid over it so he couldnt lick it and told me make sure he doesn't chew it off. My parents are going to be so mad when they get home my friend cut my dog but did she do it right? should I do something else for him help!

I let my friend do it cuz i didn't want my dog to die, i didnt know WHAT she was gunna do she just told me she was gunna help me try and fix it. i told my parents about the lump and they said it would heal, but it just kept getting bigger and bigger. it is much smaller now but still there a little bit.

The lump was like the size of a pingpong ball

the cut is like the length of my pinky fingernail

my friend originally asked for peroxide but i dont know what it is, she said it was usually a brown bottle but we coldnt find any so she grabbed rubbing alcahol

thank you everyone for all your help. I see my friend was trying to do her best because i would cry if i lost my dog he is so important to me. I wil tell my parents wat happend and see if they will take him to the vet to make sure he heals right this time

• Denise
    Favorite Answer

Now you can put warm compresses on it. Wash cloth with very warm water and that will drain more stuff out. Then Peroxide on it to clean it out. The some triple antibiotic ointment and cover it. It may fill back up with the icky stuff, but can be drained off again without any more cutting, just use the warm compress first to soften everything. Keep a watch on it and if it looks worse tomorrow take him to the Vet. The badage/wrap what ever you cover it with will need to be changed, but it will keep it from oozing onto your floor or furniture.

He obviously had an infection, probably from a bug bite or a bite from another animal, but I don't think cutting it open yourself was the best idea. Try and take him to the Dr as soon as possible to prevent further infection and get him taking antibiotics. If you can't, make sure you are cleaning the wound at least once a day with hydrogen peroxide or preferably antibacterial soap such as Dial. I wouldn't use anymore rubbing alcohol on it because it can sometimes prevent faster healing, and don't use the peroxide more than a few times for that same reason. Only use the alcohol to sanitize the things you are using on the cut. Covering it up afterwords is good, he needs to be stopped from licking it so he wont make it worse.

Good luck

I was told exactly the same thing with my dog who had a biopsy of a lump over her ribs. She was 11 years old at the time and the lump was the size of half a hen's egg. I asked the vet if he could suck out the jelly-like contents with a syringe, but he said it would just fill up again later, so needed to be removed surgically - but he said that at her age it was 50-50 she'd survive the anaesthetic, plus he said that at her age sadly she could be dead within six months anyway; so basically to leave it and not worry, because the dog was completely untroubled by it. Well, now that was a long time ago and now my poor darling is well into her 14th year! She will be 15 this November! So much for the vet's prognosis. The lump on her ribs is now enormous like half a rugby ball - though praise God, remarkably it still doesn't worry her one bit, nor give her the slightest discomfort; which seems unbelievable to me, but she doesn't even seem to realise it's not part of her natural body. She is still fit and well even at her very old age. However, I do so wish that I'd decided to have it removed instead of listening to that damn vet, because it would be so much better to see her without that thing on her ribs. Obviously now at her age the operation would kill her; so it's too late. If you have the option to get the lump removed PLEASE do so, because they grow and grow in time, until it's too late. Please get the opinion of another vet's surgery. Since my old dear has had this I've spoken with so many dog owners who have gone through the same thing with benign lumps on their dog - some of them spread all over the body; so my old dear has been very fortunate really. I wish you and your dog well - and good health always :)

Before you do anything, I would take the band-aid off and put some Hydrogen Peroxide on it. This will get rid of any infection-causing bacteria. That was not a smart thing to do, now you've got an open wound that's at risk of getting worse than the lump was before. A band-aid will not stay on anyway, you need to clean it out with the hydrogen peroxide and make sure it's rinsed clean. Do not put any anti-bacterial creams on it such as Neosporin. After it's clean, it would be best to try and wrap an ace bandage around your dog, this is much more secure than any bandaid.

This is about all you can do for now, but when your parents get home you need to take your dog to the vet.

Damage has already been done and from the looks of it they know they was wrong... Only thing to be said now is that the wound should NOT be covered in any way... keeping the wound clean till you get the dog to the vet is the way to go... I worked at vet office many years and never do we cover a wound with anything... unless the wound has been cleaned and sewn shut... Covering the wound will only allow for bacteria to multiply letting the wound air out and keeping the wound clean is the best way to go... And see a vet for sure... if the lump was an infection you may not be able to cure it with just pure cleaning it might need meds as well...

• Jesse

Well now. Your friend is quite the little vet in the making. Actually, I have done the same thing with my dogs. But I also know what I am doing and have the right antibiotics to give my dog after I drain the cyst.

Alcohol burns like heck but it does clean it. If your friend could put a bandaid over it then the lump wasn't all that big.

Your parents need to call your vet. Don't let anyone touch your dog like that in the future.

You should have waited to take it to the vet, but it sounds like your friend had good intentions. I doubt that it will become seriously worse because of what she did, Now that it is open though you need to continue cleaning it with rubbing alcohol peroxide and then put neosporin on it just like a human. Keep track of how it heals or gets worse the vet will want to know.

your friend should never had cut your dog.when vets.do surgery everything has to be sterile,i bet she never washed her hands either,and the started squeezing gunky stuff out of the lump,i bet your dog was not happy at allit's s wonder your dog didn't bite her,she didn'y even try to put any antibiotic ointment on the dog just a band aid.your parents will be mad,but i would take my dog to the vet and have her checked to make sure they is no infection left in the wound.i don't believe i would have her for my friend. i hope you dog gets better.e-mail me and let me know please god bless you.

Source(s): certain medical training

Who cares if your parents aren't home? This is serious,call the vet, ask if maybe they could come over, or they will tell you what to do until you get the dog in. I would also suggest a new friend?

• just tell your parents, your frinds is a major a** for doing that. and your dogs life could be at risk if u dont tell your parents if your friend did it wrong which she most likely did. would u rather get in trouble or have your dog at risk of dealth?