Is slapping a hysterical person effective?

Or is that an old wives tale? How else do you handle a hysterical person?

Favorite Answer

No slapping!!! If you want to face possible criminal charges later for battery, don't slap a hysterical person. There are other ways to get someones attention like hold them gently by the shoulders, look them in the eyes and in a loud but calm voice say, "Knock it off" or "That will be enough". You should never resort to violence against someone who is mentally disturbed or having an episode. You may only make matters worse. I know it seems to work on TV but remember, they are ALL actors. They are paid to act like that. Don't do it. Hope this helps.

Source(s): American Red Cross First-Aid Instructor/Trainer Hazardous Materials Instructor/Trainer Retired Firefighter/Captain (30Yrs)

Hysterical Person

Yes it is. My friend slapped my other friend's face when she started to become hysterical while she was telling us that her boyfriend raped her. Her senses came back after her face got a hard hit slapped.

• Lola

Only if you know the hysterical person VERY WELL. Like relative or bestfriend.

• I'd be glad to give it a try. Are you feeling hysterical?

No, then they just get more hysterical b/c you slapped them.