How can I get tan? I'm SO PALE !?

Hi. I'm a young teenager, and I want to be of a bit of color besides this horrid pale body I was given with at birth. I've used tanning lotions before but it takes a good 2 days to really get a good color I want, and then when that day comes I need to shave, but am scared to because it will get rid of all the color I worked so hard to get! I've heard tanning beds work, but I really don't want to put my body through things that I will regret later in life. But I want to be so desperately just comfortable in my own skin but that won't be until I can be of a somewhat color. Please Please Please help! A spray tan seems so fake and expensive and non lasting, when I just want to be of a natural color that I can be proud to show off.

Favorite Answer

Use that self tanning lotion or put on some sunscreen and chill outside for a half hour

DONT use those tanning beds though because they are just bad for your skin

Lay outside for about 30 min a day, maybe a little less, you dont want to burn, thats what i did. My legs are pale and my arms arent so I layed out for about half an hour a day and now i have a pretty good tan, it doesnt look fake, or anything.

If we are talking vampire pale, and beach tanned then definitely slightly tanned. You want something that balances out.

I was just researching this same question. My friend and I are both pale and about to start laying out for the summer. I found this answer on another page on here and thought I would share. It helped me! Just be sure to do your own research a little bit to verify everything. Don't ever believe everything you read!

This may sound wrong at first but the safest way is NOT to use sun lotion - a skin cancer nurse told me this. You're MUCH safer spending just a few minutes in the sun with nothing on, than hours with high factor sunblock, to get the same amount of tan.

Some points to consider:

1: Sunshine is a good source of vitamin D, which is important for good health.

2: A moderate amount of sunshine actually reduces the risk of cancer -

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information...

3: Sun lotions prevent sunburn but there is no evidence that they reduce the risk of cancer and indeed no sun lotion you can buy will claim that it does -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/314238...

So, supposing this is true, what would we expect to see? We'd see millions of people spending far longer in the sun than they would otherwise do, having been lulled into a false sense of security because they're wearing sun lotion, and in doing so getting over-exposed to sunshine. We would see a substantial rise in skin cancer coinciding with the rise in the use of sun lotion... and this is exactly what the evidence shows - a steady rise in the incidence of skin cancer over recent decades.

4: People like to claim that "tanned skin is damaged skin", but this is misleading. If this was the whole story then white people who live in hot countries (e.g. in Southern Europe) would have been dying like flies from skin cancer, long before anyone invented sun lotion - clearly this is not the case, in fact people from Southern Europe tend to be remarkably healthy and long-lived. The body has a defence mechanism which can cope with moderate exposure to sunshine - this includes producing melanin, so you get a tan, which provides protection from future exposure. Also if you do stay out too long and get burnt, you know you've overdone it. If, on the other hand, you use sun lotion, then not only does it make you over-expose your skin *without* the normal warning sign of burning, but it also means you're not getting a tan, which is what should be protecting you in the future (and it's something you wear all the time and don't have to remember to slap on from a bottle before you go out). People with naturally black or very dark skin (lots of melanin) hardly ever get skin cancer.

5: Sun beds are a completely different story - I would *never* use one, because they're far more intense than natural sunshine.

6: SPF is a measure of how much protection sun lotion is supposed to give you - for example, SPF 6 is supposed to give you one sixth of the exposure, or to put it another way you can safely stay out in the sun 6 times longer than if you weren't wearing sun lotion. However, for the reasons I outlined above, I don't believe this at all. I asked a cancer nurse this question: Which is safer - 3 hours in the sun wearing SPF 6, or half an hour in the sun with nothing? She said definitely half an hour with nothing. I like to get a tan but I almost never use sun lotion, and I almost never stay out in the sun for more than an hour... and this is the UK so most of the year the sun isn't very intense anyway. I never get burnt, I get a nice tan which makes me feel good and makes my skin feel good.

7: The most serious forms of skin cancer are just as likely to occur on people who never go sunbathing and on parts of the body that never see the sun, such as the underarms of those people, or in the mouth, so sunlight can't be a factor in these cases.

So anyway... just a few things to consider :-) HTH...

Oh BTW: 'How long' depends on where you live and the season, but as a rough guide I would suggest 15 - 30 minutes in a temperate climate the first time you go out, less if you live nearer the equator where the sun is stronger. Play it by ear and be careful

I'm pale and it is better to be then tanned right?, its known as the english rose complexion which is becoming very rare. Think about all the beautiful women from films like the titanic, kate winslet looked lovely in that film when done up pale. Make-up brands are making new foundations and powders to give people this complexion. Don't worry about it. I can understand not liking the legs to be to pale because imperfections show up more, either get a fake tan and use hair removal cream or wear natural coloured super sheer tights. Its good to be that colour. You are who you are.

i get a spray tan, it doesnt look fake, it costs 15 pound and lasts about 10 days, tanning beds are no good for your skin and health

I think that pale skin is so pretty. There are so many girls with fake looking tans that are not attractive at all. You should embrace who you are and be happy with the way you look.

go to the beach

um well....stay in the sun......!