Kbrw2323 asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Getting a new mountain bike?

For father's day I want to get my husband and myself some mountain bikes but am not sure what kind. I am looking to get one from Joe's Sports store and in my price range (around 150-170) they have Polaris, Mongoose, Titan, and Huffy. Which is the best brand?

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately none of these. ...Make sure you don't get any of these in a full suspension. If this is all the more you can spend then you wont be getting anything of value or quality for under $300 and I am nearly certain that Joe's does not have qualified mechanics to give you any service after the sale and will not be able to correct any deficiencies in your bikes after the sale. These brands you refer to are made primarily by Pacific cycle, the largest mfg. of low quality mass produced bikes. I would suggest that if this is all you can afford then you will soon know what I am saying is true. Do yourself a favor and spend your money at a bike specific shop and buy smarter for your money. budget yourself at least twice what you plan on spending for a quality bike (although lower end) from a bike shop that will give you a service plan after the sale. Any problems with a bike from Bobs will be a straight return and make sure they will let you do that before you buy there too.

Source(s): PBS sales in VA

A mountain bike is your safest bet. BMX bikes are single speed, so if you plan on doing any sort of real trail riding its nice to have more than just that one gear. Most mountain bikes have gears, in fact, it is hard to find one that is singlespeed. Most singlespeed mountainbikes are customs or semi-customs. Hybrids were mentioned earlier... they would probably run you $500+, and I see that as a bit absurd. a good mountain bike would only run you around $250. Also mentioned was slick tires... I wouldnt go down that road. There have been a few guys come into the bike shop i work at changing their knobbies for some slicks and regretted it. Most stock tires are going to be unbearably knobby and will still give you a very smooth ride on concrete or whatever other surface. Unless you really, REALLY want to do tricks and the such, mountain bike is the way to go. The utility of mountain bikes is amazing, and you won't regret your decision. PS. if you decide on a mountain bike, get a hardtail. full suspensions only yield wasted money and energy.

The above poster was spot-on about buying better bikes from a good shop. You don't have to spend 3000 on two high-end Treks, but you should plan on spending at least 300 to 400 per bike in order to get something of minimum quality.

And don't forget that you can, in fact, buy used bikes through Craig's List, EBay, and so on, that are still in great shape. So as the above poster said, go to a good local bike store and chat up the salesman. Take a look at some more expensive bikes and see if you can buy a pre-owned version if that interests you.

Also, don't forget that you'll be spending a little extra money on gear as well. You'll need decent helmets (50 bucks and up each), gloves (15 bucks), water bottles (6 bucks) and, if you really get into the sport, shoes, shorts, etc.

Cycling ain't cheap, but it's easily the greatest damn sport in the world.

Definitely don't buy any of the bikes you listed, you will be disappointed and probably never ride them after the first week.

Haro is a great brand, and they have entry level bikes that you can afford. Check out the Haro Flightline series at the link below. A bike shop near you will probably sell them, or can order them for you.

It would be fine to spend this amount of money as long as your bikes spend all their time stored in your garage. If you plan on actually riding and enjoying them, you need to re evaluate your budget. For maximum return for your money, don't think about buying dual suspension bikes, good ones cost far too much, even if you spent twice as much. If you don't plan on riding off road, no suspension at all is preferable.

They are all junk, you want to go to the local bike shop and get fitted for a good bike. Those bikes will have poor components and only come in one size.

haro i ride it i dont know if you can get one in that price range but it has over 3000 miles on it and still runs great

mongoos all the way