How long does it take to master Web Programming (PHP)?.?

Currently i'm interested in web programming. I'm still a beginner and just wondering how long does it take to completely master web programming namely PHP??

• Bob M
    Favorite Answer

Learning PHP language is easy, the syntax is simple.

Learning what libs are available, how to use them and how to install modules, is a little more difficult, but only realy a matter of practicing it until it becomes second nature.

There are libs you will use every time, others that you use rarely. Then as you go along you will find some libs that make the mundane much easier, so you will add these to your regular libs.

So learning PHP will be quick, the more you practice the easier it becomes. Mastering any language is a different matter. It still comes from practice, but you must add to that a great understanding of turning real world problems into coded solutions.

Some take to it very easily, others struggle with this side. All I can say is that the more you practice the sooner you get there.

Can I suggest a nice easy real world practice arena? This allows you to practice on your own PC, whether Linux or Windows, the environment is the same as a client PC and web host.

Get and install VirtualBox - http://www.virtualbox.org

Get Debian (you could use another Linux, but make it a Linux not Windows) The reason I reccomend Debian is because it is a nice clean clutter free Linux distro - http://www.debian.org/

The only real difference to the standard install is once it is installed, on the VirtualBox settings for this machine, change the network to 'bridged', this lets you see your web pages on your Windows (or other) client.

Get the one click install for Postgresql - http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

As part of the Postgresql install you are offered some helpers and applications, phppgadmin Drupal and others, let it install them. They all turn up on the main menus.

Now what you have is a ready made full featured PHP/Postgresql development system.

The pages for the applications are published from '/opt/...

Put yourself a work space in -

/var/www/yourusername

chown yourusername:yourusername /var/www/yourusername

From your home directory have a link -

ln -s /var/www/yourusername www

Now you just do your test pieces in /home/yourusername/www

If you add Netbeans with the PHP extensions you have a very nice working environment.

If you want to expose your work area so that you can use Windows development tools, then you can expose it as a ftp, or through file shares. Personally I like the whole thing to behave as if it were a host somewhere on the internet.

Anyway, once ready, practice practice practice, Not always complete solutions, in fact you should create some ready made sites that take care of views and general stuff. So that you can concentrate on writting sollutions in code.

PHP is not JUST a "web language", it is also a stand-alone programming language in its own right, whose features make it particularly attractive to web-based apps.

A first programming language will take a year to master. BUT, subsequent languages will go much faster, because you will already have seen the "linguistic issues" that are common to all languages.

Your next language - to master it - perhaps 6 months.

Beyond that, you will find that you can develop "fundamental proficiency" in almost any language in a week. Hard to beleive as a beginner, but true.

It depends really.

For me, how stupid on my part never understood even the most basic PHP syntax/coding, but it just came to me. I've been studying PHP, Javascript for almost 3 years now and havent completely mastered it, but I'm a pretty decent coder.

Also, I've just started looking into Ruby, which is pretty easy once you can get down basic coding syntax

Source(s): My own coding experience!

Have you programmed before? PHP syntax is very similar to many languages. I think it took a year or so for me to fully master PHP.

If you've already mastered object oriented programming, about 6 months. If you haven't, 5-10 years to fully master object oriented programming (depending on how long you've already been working on it), and another 6 months to master PHP syntax.

Source(s): 30 years of teaching programming.

It depends.

If its similar to other programming languages you have experience with, it shouldn't take no more than at least a year

check the article below for some good references to PHP.

http://markthispage.blogspot.com/2009/06/all-you-w...

might be of some help to you.

• zeex

Learning depends on you. No buddy can tell you the exact time.

It depends if you are dedicated and will work overtime, it is not impossible that you can learn PHP within a month :)

You can check this tutorial here: http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP