Are there any good modern punk rock bands?

Can anyone think of any punk rock bands that have produced a decent album within the past few years? Most of the quality artists seem to have grown too old (like Sex Pistols) or have drastically changed their style (like Green Day). What bands are still making strong music in the genre?

Update:

Remember, there is a fine line between punk and alternative. Punk includes The Offspring, early Green Day, Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys. Alternative includes Taking Back Sunday, Bowling For Soup, Fall Out Boy, The Used.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Red Car Wire

Chances Are High

The Darlings

Hit the Lights

Voodoo Blue

Ten Falls Forth

Ice Nine Kills

My Cardboard Spaceship Adventure

Conditions

The Get Up Kids

Valet Parking

The Boys After

Sum 41

Freshman 15

Call It A Night

Start Trouble

Screeching Weasel

Hanover Saints

Far From Finished

Same As Sunday

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Marked Men, Cheeky, Witch Hunt, Adelitas, Resist, Surrender, Gruk, Hook & the Daggers, Czolgosz, the Soviettes, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb, the Tim Version, Moral Crux, Rager, I Object, Dillinger 4, the Bananas, Vena Cava, Mika Miko, Harum Scarum, the Exploding Hearts (r.i.p.), the Cute Lepers, Gorilla Angreb, the Spits, Underground Railroad to Candyland, Death Crisis, Randy, Defiance Ohio, Toys That Kill, Prizzy Prizzy Please.... I know I'm forgetting some but there you go.

Almost all of these bands have released awesome underground punk rock records within the past 3-4 years. Some are a little bit older, but are still great bands that are ridiculously underrated.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Original punk died with the dead kennedys, the punk that is around today is a totally different kind of music... its still called punk but its nothing like what it used to be. punk has evolved.

anyway, the most recent punk bands i can think of is rancid and the distillers, but those bands are getting pretty old too.

Many bands have the clothing style to be punk, and heaps arent very far off the music style too. but they all lack personality - punk is about rebellion, anarchy, freedom. thats all gone now.

good luck with finding REAL punk...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

WHy do people insist on calling fall out boy punk? Theyre about as rebellious and anti-establishment as a box of crackers.

Bad Religion (especially Suffer, Against the Grain and Generator)

Descendents (Milo Goes to College and Everything Sucks are great albums)

Epitaph and the vanity label under Tim Armstrong "Hellcat" have a wide variety of post-punk and new wave of punk bands.

Source(s): I'm old....
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Von Bondies

Paramore

The Ramones

The Beatles

Muse

• 1 decade ago

None of the bands you have listed are punk or alternative (save The Sex Pistols, and they won't do at all).

Nonetheless, I've been digging these guys recently: http://www.myspace.com/crossstitchedeyes

They sort of have a Rudi Peni-esque sound, and are modern.

• Doug
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I can only think of Gallows. You could try Rancid, but they're a bit older these days. I love Rise Against, but I don't really know if you'll like them. Anti-flag's also pretty good and a new album just came out.

• kohel
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

eco-friendly Day isn't cutting-edge punk. they are cutting-edge selection. attempt a band called the Bronx. they are genuine punk. additionally, why does it would be cutting-edge? look into Motorhead for some sick bass lines.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The offspring and old green day are the only punk rock i ever cared for

• 1 decade ago

The Offspring

Bad Religion

blink-182

Rise Against

Sum 41

NOFX

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.