acute myeloid leukemia pharm mcq for step 1?

A 64-year-old man presents with recurrent acute myeloid leukemia. It is determined that this particular cancer is CD33-positive. Initially, this patient is treated with hydroxyurea to reduce his leukocyte count. Which of the following agents is indicated following initial leukocyte reduction?

A. Daclizumab

B. Daunorubicin

C. Gemtuzumab ozogamicin

D. L- Asparaginase

E. Trastuzumab

any help would be appreciated. i just took an online weekly step 1 prep quiz and i scored a 6/15 despite not yet having pharm...if anyone could provide insight on how i can go about eliminating choices from this q, i'd be most appreciative (i'm a first semester in med school).

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

th correct answer is c.gemtuzumab ozogamicin. this is a recombinant, humanized anti-CD33 monoclonal antibody attached to the cytotoxic antitumor antibiotic calicheamicin. In this conjugate, the antibody binds to and is internalized by tumor cells expressing CD33 antigen (a sialic acid-dependent glycoprotein commonly found on the surface of leukemic blasts), thereby delivering the attached calicheamicin to CD33-expressing tumor cells. Calicheamicin binds to the minor groove of DNA, causing double strand DNA breaks and resulting in inhibition of DNA synthesis.

as for other choices:

daclizumab binds specifically to the alpha subunit (p55 alpha, CD25, or Tac subunit) of the human high-affinity interleukin-2 (IL-2) receptor that is expressed on the surface of activated lymphocytes.

Daunorubicin inhibits topoisomerase II activity by stabilizing the DNA-topoisomerase II complex, preventing the religation portion of the ligation-religation reaction that topoisomerase II catalyzes.

asparaginase breaks down asparagine in th body which is necessary for the cells to stay alive, since th cancer cells cannot make more asparagine, they die.

trastuzumab is mainly used for breast ca its basically directed against the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2).

• 1 decade ago

sorry cant give you a definitive on this one

you can eliminate

e) trastuzumab - her2 (erb-b2) breast cancer

b) daunorubicin - hodgkins lymphoma and cardiotoxicity.

what a ridiculous question. pharm is so not impt for step one. everything impt is in first aid lol.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.