If you played a game of chess with your child, would you be disappointed if your child won the game?

.

.

Why would a Bible author indicate that the parent (the teacher) is (should be) greater than the child (student)?

Why did Bible authors often try to place us in the servant vs master circumstance?

reference: John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Do you want your children to humble themselves to you (worship you) or do you simply want them to learn from you, and then make their own decisions?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Unc, I'm gonna start off by answering your question first. I played chess with my daughter for a few years and won every time. finally she figured out a new strategy that I never foresaw and beat my butt at it. I was never more proud of her when she finally beat me. It was a total and complete joy for me, and she got a heck of a kick out of it too. I think she enjoyed it even more because I was so happy that she did it. the same when I was a High School teacher, when my students began teaching ME stuff which they had fond out on their own, I was always so very proud of them and happy that they were able to learn material that was beyond my teachings.

Now, for Exodust..... WHAT a load of POMPOUS B.S. . You dare to sit there and spout off your CRAP about following the rules (the 10 commandments) when YOUR Christian Religious Societies so CONVENIENTLY threw all those "rules" out the window when you cam to the Americas and simply TOOK whatever you wanted, in the name of Christ. When you were told NO, you can't just come in and take it. you killed the folks who were here first. You violated 3 of those so-called rules, you coveted your neighbor's property, you stole it from your neighbor and when they protest, you killed them. Like the old deadbeat college gang, you just showed up, uninvited, and stayed and stayed, partied the whole time, raising hell, made a mess and stole all the good stuff and left the host with the crud. Your Religious society had a LONG history of doing that almost right from the very beginning. YOu first showed up in France, then the British Isles and took whatever you wanted and used the name of Christ as your justification to do it. You continued your raucous partying and raised hell on the rest of the Pagans of Europe, the Witches, and the Norse. Then you decided to have at the Arabs because they DARED to live in YOUR Holy Land. NOt long after that you came to the Americas and had your way with them. STILL you weren't satisfied, you had to move on to the Pacific and took another entire continent away from the Australian and New Zealand Aborigines. Even THEN you weren't satisfied, you went on to Asia and started to set up shop there and moved on to Africa and set up shop there as well. YOUR kind not only stole and killed but they captured and enslaved entire populations of innocent people. The Entire time, you were waving your little black book and shouting that it was the "Will of God", it was what GOD intended. THAT is what your dumb-*** rules are, nothing but a means for YOU to subjugate the entire world for you OWN selfish wants. You shout out how much God loves us and wants us to repent. Why don't YOU try a little of that repentance before you decide to shove it down OUR throats? You folks talk about the "Fear of God" well you damn well SHOULD fear him. He's probably going to be very upset with you for the way that you have used his name to mistreat an entire world to satisfy your own sick perverted egos. YOU are SO wrapped up into the TRIVIA of that stupid book that you forget what the purpose of the whole thing is about. It's about a very simple message, the message is unconditional and complete love for every single person on the planet. Yet THAT is the ONE thing that you refuse to abide by. YOU use that book to find every single loophole in the law to avoid having to DO that one simple act. YOu fail to even take to heart the words in that book that TELL you that to cry LORD LORD, we followed the law, when that Christ is gong to turn to you and say "I don't even know you.". You think that just by accepting Jesus as lord and savior is going to save your butts. It is NOT. The accepting comes with a STRING attached. That string is you HAVE to repent and change your ways, if you don't then the acceptance is mere words with no follow up action and Jesus is NOT going to know you. You just don't get it do you? One does NOT have to mouth the words, "I accept you Jesus" one merely has to love one another. The rest is simply taken for granted. So, rather than YOU telling us to open up our Bibles and Find the Lord, why don't YOU open up your HEARTS and find the Lord. the Words and intent of the Divine are right in there for everyone to see and hear, and it does not include ANY of the dumb *** rules and texts in that Bible of yours with ONE exception, LOVE.

Why is it that SO many people who make NO claim to follow the God of Abraham can see that word and find it so plainly obvious in their hearts and yet, the three main Religious societies who so loudly proclaim to KNOW God have such a difficult time seeing that and comprehending that very simple message from the Divine. You do NOT need an entire book to interpret it. The one word needs NO interpretation, no further explanation, nothing at else for ancillary information. LOVE, can't you get it? Do that and you have already complied with every single part of that silly Bible and can just toss it into the fire and get some usable energy

You will have to read the whole thing to get the point

We could have discussed this without dragging bible creditability into it.

I am not a good christian....Still why fuel the debate.

It is a good personal , philosophical question anyway.

Kind of why the bible touches on such issues.

Some or most "not me personally" people want to know their spiritual leaders opinion on things....not always a bad thing

Most people need their thinking validated

Now bible stuff aside.....

I love it when a child or student or anyone I am given the responsibility to guide and instruct can best me

Means I did the job well, and bought out their best

and is a great feeling...their accomplishment was empowered by you

Uplifting as hell......."don't let it go to your head" you/me ain't all that

Humility is important....but I have no need for someone to humble themselves to me

Then again I really respect strength....and not weak

Pity/Empathy is for weak....

Here is a curve ball

Have you ever trained someone at work......

They were kind of slow to catch on....but

You didn't tell them that....you kept trying to build their confidence with "your doing Good" and "It takes a while" and "you got to hold your face just right"..."More art then skill"....etc.

Then when this slow to learn mediocre individual that YOU empowered to learn

"Their fate was in your hands could have told the powers they WERE NOT GETTING IT".....but you gave them a chance...a break...empowered them

Anyway when they got to where they mastered it

THEY TURNED ON YOU..........

Actually happens more then you think when you are in a mentoring role

Maybe that is what they meant in the bible quote

As much as I want it to be ....It ain't a perfect world

Takes all kinds....Respect is important

Source(s): Note...and yes Uncle Wayne sometimes i think they use religion to control

Board Games

While I don't have a child I will take a stab at this.

I am a Christian, one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and an avid Chess player.

If I played chess with, for instance, my neice, and she slaughtered me, due to her Clear skill/mastery of the game, I'd be so pleased I could bust. If however, she the novice, played a Horrid game, and still slaughtered me, I'd be REALLY embaressed as "obviously" I wasn't playing as well as I should have.

As for this query "Do you want your children to humble themselves to you (worship you) or do you simply want them to learn from you, and then make their own decisions?" I'm reminded of my Mom teaching my older brothers to drive. She made it clear that While being Trained they needed to heed her counsel, IE, follow her lead. Being teens it didn't take long for the "I know better than you attitude" to take over. Especially while operating a vehicle this mindset could be disasterous.

Much the same, while it's hope of ALL parents, or should be, for their children/students to improve and grow, humility is often a Key ingredient in being taught.

My nephew when 5? was in the habit of telling his Grandfather, "I already KNOW that" about most everything, to the point that the boy was a brat. He felt quite free to beat on others, especially females, including my Mother. His parents have largely taught him he is better than Everyone else, except them. While I'm glad he has a strong self image, I feel it would be better to teach him, that EVERYONE, including him/Especially him at 6 years of age, has much to learn.

The game of chess you mentioned is a great game and I would not be disappointed if my kids beat me and if they practiced enough and matured in their though processes they very well could, but the fact is they would have to learn the rules, understand them and use them to their advantage as well as think ahead more turns than I. But at this moment I have to coach them along, because they don't have the ability to look ahead and are just understanding the rules, even though they belong to chess club and play well against their peers. So in the same way God gives us rules and a mind to think ahead of the consequences of our decisions. We are all guilty of not playing be the rules that God gives us in the Ten Commandments. God created life, where once there was none by just His word. Can you do that? Can you keep all of the Ten Commandments? I bet like me you could not have kept a single one. Jesus did and in fact He was the Word that created life. And even though He was God He humbled himself to serve you in He death upon the cross,if you would just believe. Regardless of how you look at it you are the servant of someone or something, the question is who are you serving?

Well your comparing the relationship between things that are not exactly reciprocals. The Bible emphasis that we are less than God, because we ARE. It was Satan the Devil who claimed that we ourselves could be just like God........that as we found out was a complete lie. Parents, just as God want us to grow, learn, experience, and enjoy things. However, just like God, parents also want us to ALWAYS remember that we are THEIR children and should always show a reverential respect, right? It is only reasonable to want that respect, because they took care of us when we could not take care of ourselves, and they loved us unconditionally when we had no concept of what love even was. Jehovah God does the basically the same with us. He does not treat us like the pitiful dust that we are, but rather he created us GREATER and COMPLETELY unique to all animals. He made us with the ability to reflect his OWN qualities, and he made us beautiful Earth, filled with beautiful things, and gave us a wonderful body to enjoy it. He even created us with extra 'uneccesary' abilities that enhance our life, like the ability to 'taste' different foods, appreciate music, humor, art and have a memory. He did all of this out of Love for us, before we even knew what Love was. All he asks is that we reconize our positions as creatures, worship him correctly, and praise his name. Being humble and worshiping may be related but they are not the same thing. Parents want their Children to have a healthy and reverential fear of them, but not worship, but Parents are not God's, they are simply responsible for creating our specific lives, but ALL life comes from Jehovah God, he being our loving Creator deserves such worship. (1 John 4:8)

But about your Chess question - I would be somewhat embarassed and at the same time proud. I mean atleast you know your child isn't a dullard. lol

Source(s): Edit: Hey, IshVarLan - Maybe we should play sometimes.

No, I hope that would be a case since I have never played chess

No, it is not like that. The Father is higher in the office but not in the essence. There is only One True God in Trinity

We should always serve each other and God is worthy of our service and worship. Jesus also wash His disciples feet, it is a noble thing to serve others

Only God is worthy of the worship, do not compare yourself with God. God lets us to make choices. We cannot offer eternal life for our children, but God can do that to us. So, if you want to have eternal life in heaven with God, do what He asks you to do.

• No! I play lots of games with my children! We have a great time!

They are 'individuals' growing and learning. It is my job to instill certain priorities to help them along their way. I want them to stand on their own, with their own values, opinions, principals and integrity.

They have their own lives to live. I have lived mine.

I hope and pray I have been a good example for them to follow with respect, truth, faith hope and love. :D

A teacher learns just as much, if not more from his students.

I have truly learned a lot from raising six children and have had a blast just being their mom.

Jesus was on this earth as a servant, he was really much greater than a servant, but lowered himself-

The Lord says we are to raise children to honor God not man.

Worship God not man.

My dad was and I could never understand that (I was 6 and it was my very first time playing, I beat him is 8 moves).

We are to teach that which we know.

Because we are.

True.

You humble yourself to your teaches, which is to say that you do not get uppity with them. You are to learn from the teacher, not teach the teacher.

As the child grows in wisdom, that child is allowed to make more and more of its own decisions, until one day it is both old enough and wise enough to make all of its own decisions.

HI.

I would be happy for the child of course.

However playing a board game is quite different than holding the balance of your own mortality in your hands.

I would agree with the yahoo'r ssss above me a few comments up.