? asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What are the % chance that estrogen will cause lung cancer?

Speaking of Hormone Replacement Therapy

• april
    Favorite Answer

The hormone replacement therapy taken by millions of women to relieve hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause may raise the risk of dying from lung cancer.

In the WHI, more than 161,000 women were randomly assigned to take combined hormone therapy or a placebo. The trial was stopped prematurely in 2002, when it became apparent that the risks of combined hormone treatment outweighed the benefits.

By combined hormone therapy, it was referring to estrogen and progestin.

The only way that would happen is the same way it happened to my sister-in-law. She had breast cancer and didn't do anything about it because her mother was dying of cancer and she felt if she said anything, her mother would be scared for her. I tried to tell her not to let it go. She did, had the mastectomy and a yr later, developed lung cancer. She never smoked a day in her life either. All, biopsy and pathology of the tumors in her lungs revealed breast cancer cells. Those buggers travel. They say estrogen causes breast cancer. I don't think I believe that anymore. I still think it's all in our genes. Family history. I had my grandmother, 5 aunts, all my mother's sister, die of breast cancer. Then my sisters, myself, my nieces, all have it. We had the gene testing done at Dana Farber in Boston, all were positive for BRACA gene. So, you be the judge.

Source(s): RN breast cancer survivor

Lung cancer is not one of the cancers than have an increased risk with HRT. HRT will only increase the risk of breast cancer, and possibly endometrial and ovarian cancer (but more studies need to be done to verify the last 2).