Are there alternative organizations I can join to support the rights of gun ownership without joining the NRA?

The NRA is too closely associated with the Republican party, and right wing politics for my taste. But I too, like my guns.

I am really hoping for a reasonable, intelligent answer to the question I have asked, not arguments or insults or unsolicited advice.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

I give you the wisdom of Harvey Fierstein (in another context):

"If you want the parade to look like you, then you have to be in the parade."

Likewise, if you want the NRA to be like you, then you have to join the NRA. If all the people who think like you joined the NRA, they'd probably take over the organization -- and the additional membership numbers would make it much more powerful.

Still, if you're not willing to lead by example, there are plenty of other pro-gun organizations to choose from. For a start, every state has its own gun owners association. Beyond that here's a few more to get you started:

Gun Owners of America

Gun Owners of California

The Second Amendment Foundation

The Second Amendment Sisters

The Pink Pistols

And, if you think the NRA is too radical, these folks will completely blow your mind:

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

The Second Amendment Foundation

There are plenty of Democrats who are NRA members.

Also, there are plenty of Conservatives and Libertarians who support the ACLU.

Source(s): 8+ years Law Enforcement

There are many. Use Google search.

http://gunowners.org/