United Red asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

why do female tennis players wear skirts?

Personally, I think it's kind of sexist that they still have to wear skirts.

The only one that I know of to wear shorts is Martina Navratalova.

Why is this?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

so the air gets to all the right places

• 1 decade ago

They are not forced to wear skirts. Akgul Amanmuradova wear shorts though.

Maria Sharapova wore shorts last year at Wimbledon, Venus Williams also once did.

• 1 decade ago

They don't have to wear skirts. I remember Kournikova wearing shorts on occasion. Trust me if skirts were an advantage a man would have wore one already. It's just traditional really and apparently the women choose to keep it that way.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some do. But, I think there's more freedom in skirts. Shorts can be quite restricting while running.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laurie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Their coaches and personal doctors can give better answers. Players do not select the designs as per situationsat will. It has nothing to do with bank balance. It may be coincidence when u r watching. Still your careful watching is open for discusion and research for many.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think they have 2, they chose to. I personally like the skirts better than shorts

• 1 decade ago

What do you want them to wear g-strings? Maybe they don't wear shorts because then all the pervs will be crotch gazing. Ana Kornikova wore shorts once that caused a sensation for the boy fans I don't think she did it again.

• 1 decade ago

Freedom of movement i guess, also for the entertainment of the male spectators!!! why are you complaining?! lol! Erm, also martina navratalova is a bit of a lesbian. Also, if you take note that she is the only woman to wear shorts, it obviously shows that the others prefer skirts so it could be something to do with appearance and they think they look better.

• 1 decade ago

the skirt is not a sexiest thing, it's just easier to move around in, less restricting, if anything we are being sexiest to the male players for not letting them wear skirts, it's easier to play in a skirt than it is shorts (plus as a girl they look better :p)

Source(s): used 2 play :)
  • 1 decade ago

To get the men to watch.

Those little grunts they do don't hurt either.

• pmarie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It's tradition. Martina is a lesbian - this may or May not have reflect her decision to wear shorts. She may just like and feel more comfortable wearing them because it is 2009!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.