Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

why Russia as Ally wasn't invited to attend D-Day Ceremony in France ? they contributed hugely to Nazi defeat!?

even if the Soviets were on the Eastern front,and had no part in the actual D-Day battles, as Allies ,they lost 20 million people in the fight against NAZIS....they gave an immense contribution to the Victory in WW2...

just because of the Cold War mentality that is still dominates Washington,should Russian presence be left out of these ceremonies ?? IT IS UNFAIR !!!

Favorite Answer

The Russians were not involved in the D-Day Landings, their forces attacked Germany from the East. Lots of countries fought against Nazi Germany however in terms of the D-Day commemorations they are specific to D-Day and the allied forces who attacked the beaches at Normandy.

It should also be noted that the British Army lost more men on the first day of the Battle of the Somme than were lost by All the Allied Forces and the German Forces put together on the 6th June 1944 (D-Day).

Britain suffered 57,470 casualties, including 19,240 dead on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, by the end of the Battle of the Somme some British suffered around 420,000 British Causalities were recorded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/battl...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

To put this in to further perspective the British Army lost the equivalent of a third of all the US Soldiers killed and missing in Vietnam in one day. By the end of the one battle British Causalities far exceeded those of the entire US Loses in the Vietnam War.

Russia was just as bad as the Nazi's. The hell with them.

It was almost two completely different wars (the east and the west).

It says a lot about our great country when the Nazi's wanted to surrender to the United States and not the Russian's.

Look what the Russians did to the Polish during the war and after the war - I don't call them allies.

Stalin actually killed more people than Hitler did. If the Soviets were able to defeat the Nazis on their own turf, good for them. But it's not as if anything better came as a result. When the U.S.S.R later enslaved the Eastern European countries that they "liberated" from the Nazis, we should have gone after them, but America was already war weary.

I was going to do this question when I got up in the morning, since it's still the 5th where I am, so I was happy to find this here. My original song choice was the Dire Straits version of the one you chose, but I think this one is nice, too. I am told that when you visit the Allied Memorial in Normandy in the evening, you sometimes hear it drifting on the ocean breeze. I know it's an American thing, but since, especially at Normandy, Americans lived with Brits and Canadians, and died with them, too, maybe they can share this song, as well. I am grateful for their sacrifices, and I think of them often.

How is it unfair? There were no Russian units that took part in the Normandy invasion.

If there were to be a VE Day ceremony, the situation would be different.

The politics of inclusion are going way too far.

• Mike S

"even if the Soviets were on the Eastern front,and had no part in the actual D-Day battles"

I think you nailed it there. I'm sure they'd of been recognized had this been a V-E day celebration.

I was wondering about that as I watched the event on TV yesterday. Maybe because the Soviets fought the Nazis, and now there are no more Soviets... Only Russians and Ukranians and...

They did not take part in the battle so they were not invited, no big deal.

They did more to defeat the Germans than any other nation, I would say they did more then every other nation combined.

Well, they were only Allies because we had no choice.

Btw, without the American Liberty ships supplying Russia they would of had a really bad time of it.

The other allies werent invited to the Stalingrad Memorial so I see your view less than intelligent