Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

Can you get certified to be a teacher with a B.A. or B.S. degree in Elementary Education in Ohio?

And what license would I apply for since my B.A. will be for teaching kids K-8th grade? They have Early Childhood Education license, Middle Childhood License. or Adolescent to Young Adult license? I already know I'd need a 2 year license most likely due to not having any experience teaching (other then my 300 hours of volunteer work for my A.S. degree and my 12-20 hours weeks of student teaching when I go for my B.A. degree).

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    They are called certifications in Ohio, not licenses. Primary is broken into the age groups and you can get multiple certifications. They write the other areas on your initial certification. So you have to choose what you want to teach. That can be important as if there is a layoff, they lay off where needed ad if in your area of Early Ed, then you can't just go to Middle Childhood if you are not certified there, unless they can find no one else certified in that. In that case you can apply for temporary certification but the next year, if there is certified teacher, they hire the certified. You can take additional classes to certify though. Same at secondary level with English or Math or wahtever as it is by subject area.

    Check with the Ohio Department of Education on line and could be Ohio Education Dept and then look under certification and it will list the various certifications and what is required for each. Your intial certification is for a certain number of years and I think it is 3 years rather than 2, but I could be wrong or they could have changed it. Most don't have experience other than as student teacher. You have 5 years to get masters. You can get tenure in 3 years if you have finished the requirements. You have to do continuing ed but your classes toward masters can count toward those hours. There is an education plan to complete and to submit to a committee. The districts also have some continuing ed as well. Even teaching concepts to other teachers can count toward some of continuing ed.

    You can be hired as a teacher but if you have the old Elem. Ed certification, you have to have the specifics for one of the newer (about 4 or 5 years old) certifications.

    Good luck to you.

  • 1 decade ago

    I am sure... the school you attended should have information. The Ohio Dept. of Ed should have all the info you need and many times you can call them and they will walk you through the process.

    Source(s): preggo teacher
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.