Switch Wiring: Switch has three wires, I have two.?

I just purchased a replacement switch for my attic fan. The new switch has 4 wires: a black, a white, a red and a green. My box has only two: a black and a white. I know that the green is for grounding, but I need help with the red, black and white's. What connects to what, as the instructions don't... show more I just purchased a replacement switch for my attic fan. The new switch has 4 wires: a black, a white, a red and a green. My box has only two: a black and a white. I know that the green is for grounding, but I need help with the red, black and white's. What connects to what, as the instructions don't give me that option.
Update: If I might add...this new switch has a timer on it. Does that make a difference?
Update 2: I have connected white to white and black to black. Attic Fan does not go on.